Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse Trouble: Single Click = Double Click  (Read 3595 times)

kyregan

Mouse Trouble: Single Click = Double Click
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
I've been looking for a solution for this problem for a while, and to no avail there is not anything online that has helped thus far.

My problem has been going on for about a year now, and I don't really feel like paying people to take a look at my computer just to tell me that they have no idea what is wrong with it. The situation is that my mouse, for some odd reason, tends to respond like a double-click / multiple clicks when I only press the mouse button once. This problem originated with a Microsoft Intellipoint mouse, I thought that it was quite possibly the mouse that was dying out (As it was a couple years old) so I went out and bought a cheap optical mouse, as many people do when they don't want to buy a costly mouse for an older computer. So the mouse I have now is a ValGear (Purchased from Wal~Mart) mouse. It didn't fix the problem, but I wasn't too concerned with it as it was mostly just a minor problem. Now this problem is ever-present, not just randomly double-clicking everything I single-click but as I found out in another program when I clicked to zoom in it zoomed in approximately 4 times in this particular instance. So I finally figured it's time to look again see what may be causing the problem.

The system I'm running is an older one, but I have updated it, keeping it fairly up to date and it still runs approximately as good as the brand-new lower end systems. (It can run World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, and various other games without too much hassle). The operating system I am using is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 And the processor is an AMD Athlon 1.10ghz I unfortunately am not able to tell you the motherboard that's in it as I don't remember what it was and the name on it is faded to the point where you can't read it. (And I can't, at the moment, find a program that will get the information for me.)

I've tried that steps that Microsoft lists for troubleshooting an Intellipoint mouse, and I have removed and reinstalled the drivers / mouse multiple times and still nothing. Hopefully one of you might be able to help me out.

And it's a USB mouse, yes.

GX1_Man

Re: Mouse Trouble: Single Click = Double Click
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:53:12 AM »
To get all the information you would ever need use Everest Home, which is free.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Have you taken a look at the Mouse settings in Control Panel? Sometimes basic adjustments can be made there.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/clicks.mspx

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:56:31 AM by GX1_Man »

kyregan

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:15:06 AM »
Alright, thank you for the help. I definitely made sure that my mouse configuration was proper and I did check the folder options and that was all fine and dandy as well.

Here is teh specifications from the program you linked me:

Motherboard Name      MSI K7T Power/Pro/Pro2/Pro2-A/Turbo/Turbo2/Turbo Limited Edition
Motherboard ID      07/01/2002-8363-686B-6A6LMM4AC-00

Mouse Name      HID-compliant mouse
Mouse Buttons      5
Mouse Hand      Right
Pointer Speed      1
Double-Click Time      200 msec
X/Y Threshold      6 / 10
Wheel Scroll Lines      3

Active Window Tracking      Disabled
ClickLock      Disabled
Hide Pointer While Typing      Enabled
Mouse Wheel      Present
Move Pointer To Default Button      Disabled
Pointer Trails      Disabled
Sonar      Disabled

Like I said sometimes it doesn't happen, but sometimes it clicks like I clicked the button 4 times. I've tried my double-click speed on all the settings, and that hasn't fixed it. I'm just wondering if it might be time to just move on to a new computer. (I have one in the works, so it wouldn't be too far off.)

Also, let me know if you need more specs please.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:39:29 AM »
No need for a new computer. There might however be a need for a new mouse....i recommend Logitech.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "