Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Wireless is messed up  (Read 4407 times)

bballok32

Topic Starter

Rookie
    My Wireless is messed up
    « on: January 19, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »
    Well I brought down my modem so I could connect but today my wireless stopped connecting. It would hold the signal for awhile then it would lose it (the router is upstairs and the wireless card is down here in the cpu), so I would go restart the router and or Modem and it would work fine for a while. About 20 minutes ago it stopped working and whatever I did didn't seem to help. If someone can help me reconfigure or anything, it would be appreciated.

Windows XP SP1
    WAP54G Linksys Router
    WMP54GS Linksys Adapter Card

GX1_Man

Re: My Wireless is messed up
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 05:35:57 AM »
    Why no SP2 on that machine? That is the first thing you should do and then post back.

bballok32

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:21:39 AM »
      well I did have SP2 on it but it started acting goofy, so I did a system restore

bballok32

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:23:19 AM »
        but what it does is I'll hook it up and it will work for about 5-20 minutes and then it won't connect to the internet. I still get a signal, I just can't get on the internet

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »
          Need...more...info...gasp  :P

Operating system / antivirus & antispyware protection / when did it start happening / did it ever work right / installed any new software?

So...hard wired to the modem no problem, right?  But wireless is the issue right?  Either it's the wireless card or the router.  Hard to tell without swapping one or the other to verify which one it is.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 04:43:36 PM »
          Why no SP2 on that machine? That is the first thing you should do and then post back.

Then from a command prompt on the downstairs machine type "ipconfig /all " without the quotes and hit Enter.
          Post your results.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bballok32

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:20:47 PM »
            I figured out a solution I just run Wireless Zero Configuration everytime I get on