Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Right Speaker stopped working  (Read 2222 times)

PugPrussian

Right Speaker stopped working
« on: January 26, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »
First of all, please let me apologize up front if this post drags on...  But I don't think this can be brief.  I own an emachines (model T-6522).  It has an 2.2 gig AMD Athlon processor, 1 gig PC 3200 DDR RAM, 200 gig hard drive.  Graphics and sound on an integrated card.  One day while playing Medieval Total War, the right speaker started to fade and then it quit working altogether.  I have it hooked up to an offbrand 27" LCD TV, so I thought it was the TV.  After hooking up PC speakers to the computer, I found out that it wasn't.  

I've:  a) tried updating the audio driver.  No dice.  b) deleted the audio driver and reinstalled it.  No dice.  c) ran the registry cleaner (Not sure why, it was recommended by someone).  No dice.  All diagnostics say the speakers should be working right.  The left one does...  just not the right.

Maybe the connector was bad?  I went out and bought a nice, inexpensive Creative sound card, disabled the integrated sound, correctly installed the sound card, correctly installed the drivers and software that came with it...  Hooked the speakers up to the new card...  And the right speaker still doesn't freakin' work...

I'm now leaning toward a problem with the motherboard.  I'm not an expert...  I know just enough to be dangerous...  Has anyone heard of anything this crazy?  I'm officially out of ideas.   :-[   :-?

Thanks,
The Prussian

peav007

Re: Right Speaker stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »
it might sound a stupid question but have you tried other speakers on your computer. the speaker could have failed. the speaker itself or a break in the cable. you could try putting the left hand speaker into the right hand speaker channel to illiminate the speakers them selves.

hope this helps john :P

PugPrussian

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:19:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply...  I'm an idiot.  I figured the odds of the connector to my monitor being bad AND the set of speakers being bad were a million to one...  Maybe they are...  But that's what the problem was.  I hooked up another set of ancient speakers from my basement and they worked fine.  

Bad connector, then a bad set of speakers showing the same problem...  It's got to be a million to one.  Why can't I hit the lottery instead?

Thanks for the push in the right direction,
The Prussian

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »
Buy a ticket tomorrow...then you'll be able to get a new set of speakers and then some.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "