Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Imaging Program  (Read 3220 times)

mreeves

Computer Imaging Program
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:27:41 AM »
Hi guys I have a question for you! I am apart of a business and we have certain computers, such as an "Engineering Computer" or a "Parts Computer" or a "Sales Computer" etc...

My goal is to create images (much like Norton Ghost does) on a network drive, then create like a CD or a Floppy disk that will allow me to actually run an image template on that new computer. We used to do this at my old job but I didn't create the system and wasn't there long enough to learn exactly how it worked. I think we used Norton Ghost, but anything would be great.

Also... This is something I wouldn't need to purchase a license for every computer, since I will only be using it first to make IMAGE TEMPLATES and then I would be using a floppy disk to initiate the restoration.

That's EXACTLY what I am looking for.. if you have anything close, great I'll look at it (Maybe i may like it more!) otherwise...

Thanks a lot guys! Appreciate it!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer Imaging Program
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:39:58 AM »
Look into Acronis True Image Network Edition...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:33:47 AM »
    as patio mentioned u should be looking for Acronis True Image Workstation.
    It's one of the cheapest utility that can backup (create image/clone of HDD) over network.
    I find it very reliable and easy-in-use.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:59:06 PM »
    And keep in mind that developing a sound backup strategy and sticking to it is the key to success...i've seen client's that had $3000.00 software solutions but didn't use them on a timely basis and hence no data.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mreeves

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:44:52 PM »
    I've kind of looked at Acronis and I can't quite see the stuff that I am wanting.  I have tried using Norton Ghost on this and using the recovery CD but it failed to do a drive backup AND it is very difficult to get set up on my network.  

I'm really not exactly sure what I am looking for.  Mostly a program that I can simply backup a HDD whenever I need to, turn around and place that image on a different hard drive then throw the image away.  Our computers themselves are pretty worthless when it comes to programs and files, since we have them all on the network, however we have a separate network backup solution.  I guess what I'm really looking for is an easy way to maintain what computers have which licenses for the different software programs and I first thought just using an image program may work, but after attempting to use Ghost I don't want to go through that hassle all the time....

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:05:15 AM »
      My goal is to create images (much like Norton Ghost does) on a network drive, then create like a CD or a Floppy disk that will allow me to actually run an image template on that new computer.

I'm really not exactly sure what I am looking for.  Mostly a program that I can simply backup a HDD whenever I need to, turn around and place that image on a different hard drive then throw the image away

Acronis True Image Workstation creates images (backups) over network.
      That is u can backup certain pc's file/folder/HDD from another one.
      And after boot from this image (ghost doesn't have this feature, that's why u must had problems with it).
      Anyway, it's quite difficult to recommend anything when person isn't sure on her/his needs.

mreeves

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 02:53:28 PM »
      I'm Sorry you're right... Let me explain exactly how I would like to see this network to go:

I would like a fairly decent setup regarding backing up different department templates.  Maybe not necessarily the actual hard drive image itself, but more so the types of programs (windows XP, MS Office, and then a random assortment of other software we use), all in a template.  We go to a new (or crashed) computer that has NOTHING on the hard drive (I will have formatted it should it have anything) and pop in a CD or Floppy (having the option of both would be great), and allow it to run into a "setup mode" to allow me to determine which "Image" or Department this is going to be for.  Then have it install everything.  That way the only thing I would have to do is name the computer (I would like even most of the XP functions to be set, such as the domain or the restrictions, etc...)

Working WITH The above system I need a way to keep track of licenses for my random programs (XP, MS Office, etc), and which computers they go to.  Say a license gets placed onto a computer, I would like to have it swing into the network and say "This computer has this license"

That's what I would like to see.. if you have any questions please let me know but I have decided what would be great.

THANKS!
      --Mike

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:38:45 AM »
        I'm Sorry you're right... Let me explain exactly how I would like to see this network to go:

I would like a fairly decent setup regarding backing up different department templates.  Maybe not necessarily the actual hard drive image itself, but more so the types of programs (windows XP, MS Office, and then a random assortment of other software we use), all in a template.  We go to a new (or crashed) computer that has NOTHING on the hard drive (I will have formatted it should it have anything) and pop in a CD or Floppy (having the option of both would be great), and allow it to run into a "setup mode" to allow me to determine which "Image" or Department this is going to be for.  Then have it install everything.  That way the only thing I would have to do is name the computer (I would like even most of the XP functions to be set, such as the domain or the restrictions, etc...)

Working WITH The above system I need a way to keep track of licenses for my random programs (XP, MS Office, etc), and which computers they go to.  Say a license gets placed onto a computer, I would like to have it swing into the network and say "This computer has this license"

That's what I would like to see.. if you have any questions please let me know but I have decided what would be great.

THANKS!
        --Mike

Mike, i don't know any utilities that would let u swing license (I'm sure there isn't any).
        In this situation companies offer more than 1 license to costumer (he/she is paying for extra license).
        Maybe u'll find me stubborn, but True Image Workstation has universal restore optional feature. As i mentioned ATIW can boot from image (even bare-metal is no trouble), but after there arises drivers problem. U'll have to purachse/search for them in google.
        But universal restoresolves this problem.

The only thing ATIW doesn't is removing software/utilities.
        But True Image is backup software.
        According to this cite PCMover is the only utility that can transfer applications/software.

So i guess, if u really need all these features, u should be looking for at least 2 different softwares.

Once again in brief, ATIW does everything u've posted except transfering applications.
        http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/  says : "PCmover is the only migration utility that moves programs, files, and settings from your old PC to your new PC"
        « Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:43:16 AM by LegoLas »