Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IBM Thinkpad boot  (Read 3243 times)

richlemar

IBM Thinkpad boot
« on: January 27, 2007, 11:52:33 AM »
Hello, I've got an older IBM ThinkPad that worked fine untill I let it sit over the holidays. I recently tried to start it...I get the IBM splash screen and then a blank screen with an icon of a padlock that doesn't do anything. I've never seen this icon before, and I can't get into the bios setup or the boot device preference. I'ts got a pentium 3 processor and I'm running MS XP. Any suggestions?

GX1_Man

Re: IBM Thinkpad boot
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 12:35:40 PM »
Are you the only user of this laptop? Could someone have played a prank on you? It could be several things, so have a read:

http://martigny.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/thinkpad/1996-11/0126.html

richlemar

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:55:44 PM »
The computer was in a high school classroom...it was used mainly to for slideshows on an overhead projector, so yes, other people did have access to it, although I wonder if any of the students would possess the knowledge to activate the "Power" lockout ( this was a horticulture class ). I'm fairly computer literate, and have no idea how to do this, let alone ever even having seen it before. The link you posted refers to removing both batteries...I've alredy tried removing the battery in the bottom of the computer with no results...any input on removing the batteries?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »
I think a BIOS password being placed is the most likely thing that happened. Unfortunately these are not made to be overridden and a motherboard swap is the only mainstream solution, but it is costly. Maybe a student will fess up?

I don't think this just spontaneously happened. Sorry.

richlemar

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »
Thanks for all the help...looks like I'm going shopping for a new laptop. THANKS AGAIN!!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 02:40:21 PM »
You're welcome and stop back anytime.  ;)