Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 'CD writer cannot complete'  (Read 3159 times)

Matthew

'CD writer cannot complete'
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
Having worked fine previously my CD-ROM drive is saying that my new, blank CD's are full up and therefore cannot be recorded onto.

I use Nero and 'Windows CD writer' on XP.  I have checked the event and error logs, but there is nothing unusual in them.

The drive plays and rips with no problems on all other disk formats.  I have used two different types of CD so the problem is not corrupted or wrong make of CD.

I am concerned it is a problem with the drive or windows. I am not sure of the make of the drive, is ATAPI a make?  Is there a test I can do? Anyone any suggestions?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:12:45 AM by Matthew »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: 'CD writer cannot complete'
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »
So your CD writer won't record any disks?
But, it will play all disks?
Nero and Windows XP's built-in CD writer both fail?
ATAPI isn't a make, it's a type.
The make may be printed on the front of the drive.
Are there any problems in device manager?
What happened before this started?

Matthew

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 06:05:40 AM »
Thanks for this.

It was fine before this, there was an issue with a data CD that it wouldn't read a while back, but we thought that was a format issue.  

It has no problem playing all types of CDs.
There is no name of the make of drive on the front and I don't want to remove it at this stage.

Device manager says the drive is working properly.  Although I haven't looked for updates or anything.

Event viewer says "The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state."  but not really sure what that means and i think it is just normal when you boot up.

just to add, i have checked the driver update and i have an uptodate driver
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:11:17 AM by Matthew »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:32:20 AM »
Have you fooled around and turned off any services in the past ? ?

Have you tried another brand of media ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 06:11:33 PM »
How old is the drive? What happened from when it used to work and now? Hardware or software changes? (Think carefully.) Have you tried a system restore if this is a recent occurrence? This will not fix defective hardware. Frequently the writing ability fails before the reading ability.

To find the make download and run Everest Home:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Matthew

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:19:33 AM »
GX1_Man,

Drive is about 3 years old.  The whole unit is a Hi-Grade, Ultis. I have run the everest software as suggested and it says the same as the system information - Optical Drive is an ATAPI COMBO52XMAX, the manufacturer is not given.  The hard drive is made by Western Digital Corp, WDC, if that is any indication??

I have used a variety of software to burn like Napster, Media Player, Nero and drag and drop in windows and never had a problem until now. I haven't messed around with the Operating system. All the usual upgrades from MS, etc have been taken on, but no major changes have been made from when it was bought. Have not done a system restore as too scared of losing stuff and can't back anything up as I don't have a CD burner (could use a memory stick of course).  

I don't use it that much, could that be a factor?

I know it is difficult to tell, but what is your opinion , from what I have said?

P.S. Patio - have used different media - pls read original email!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:51:12 AM by Matthew »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:39:31 PM »
Get a new DVD burner currently around 40 bucks shipping included...for some reason i have seen some components used infrequently fail faster than those used daily.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »
The burning ability usually fails before the reading ability. I would say it is a bad drive, as a guess.

To be diligent (and cheap), you could try that drive in another machine to see if it is functional, and another drive in yours to see where the problem truly is. And then uninstall and reinstall the software to see if that helps. Also with Nero get it to run the system information check again and see if anything turns up.

No optical drive has a warranty greater than one year. There is a reason for that.  ;)