Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Back Up Files Without CD's ?  (Read 2405 times)

Jp

Back Up Files Without CD's ?
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:19:59 PM »
My Compaq Presario will not except disc, it rejects the disc a few seconds

after I slide the tray in.

I need to do some work D/L's etc. and want to back up my files, . .

Does it do any good to save them to the Local Disc ?

Is there a reliable Upload service that will serve POT Dial Up like I have ?

Any advice for what to do will be appreciated.

Jp

GX1_Man

Re: Back Up Files Without CD's ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
After looking at all of your other recent posts you have  a LOT of problems with that machine, not just that it doesn't accept a disc. It's best to keep things all in one place so people don't accidentally think this is your only problem.

If it were me I would network it to a working machine and copy the files to CD/DVD from there.

Then this machine needs to have the hard drive formatted and Windows reinstalled. This is FUBAR'ed. Contact Compaq (HP) and see if they will guide you through it, get you a new set of restore CD's or just bite the bullet and get a full version of XP.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 06:15:49 PM by GX1_Man »

Jp

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »
GX1_Man

I believe it was purchased in 2003.

Hard to tell what happened prior to this,
Sorry to say it has been this way for some time.

At some point in time I recall that I stated using rewritable disk,
and at some point, I saved to C:\ and the files would not download to the disc.

I recall having a zip floppy attached one day I could not open disc,

so I removed it.

I know nothing about DVD Burners but I will look it up.

Jp

Jp

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 01:33:32 PM »
GX1_Man,

I have been sitting in front of computer for seven years, god only knows what it has done to my brain, but I have used the computer for communications mainly,
in the process of the business of SAR, Environment Protection and Wild Fire Control Industry as a concept designer.

I have not paid alot of attention to maintenance as I should have.

I can tell you that when I started using a computer, I don't any longer need, to call and fax everyone I have met through directories and snail mail.

I apologize if my learning experience has been painful, I do have two computers, yes and both have problems, however you and others have been real helpful helping me out of the woods, I am still trying to move ahead and interchanging spyware and anti-virus ware has been a bit of a problem, especially now since I have data that needs to be protected and I don't have a working disc program to store.

Trojan Downloader and a multitude of other malignent preditors has been everyones problem.

I thought that novices like myself might gain, from my entrees, hope that you are not annoyed and growing impatient, needing to know how to fix computer problems about computer tech and having a computer and knowing what you need to know is a huge maze to me, but solving these problems with your help has been amazing.

Therefore, I must thank you for your generosity and kindness.
I will be ever greatful for my experiences and participation in the Computer Hope Forum, for to be without hope is misery.

I have given some thought to the fact that some day I may know what I'm doing and will I be as generous as the folks, like yourself that I have found here? I certainly would like to be.

Jp

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:51:15 PM »

I apologize if my learning experience has been painful, [highlight]I do have two computers, yes and both have problems[/highlight], however you and others have been real helpful helping me out of the woods, I am still trying to move ahead and interchanging spyware and anti-virus ware has been a bit of a problem, especially now since I have data that needs to be protected and I don't have a working disc program to store.

Well this was not clear at all. Let's isoate all of the problems on this computer. Just make it clear which computer we are talking about.  ;)

Jp

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »
Bullllya !!!!

The CD Problem has been solved for the my Desk Top WXP ?

and I am willing to share this with you, however, please do not tell me how

dumb I am, I am beginning to find that out on my own !

The answer to the dilemma has been solved with a basic question, . . .

Are you loading the CD in the Tray Right side up ?

I thank you for this entertaining moment.

Sincerely,

Jp

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:01:04 PM »
And there you have it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "