Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win ME -required .DLL file, PSYSTRAY.PYD not found  (Read 3793 times)

mike_96_ws6

Win ME -required .DLL file, PSYSTRAY.PYD not found
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:33:32 PM »
Hi everyone,
 I get an "error starting program" dialog box when I start-up my system:
as listed in the thread title, " a required .DLL file, PSYSTRAY.PYD not found. There are several programs that will not run, or not run correctly. I searched 'My Computer' for this file name with no results, and I don't see an application file on my hard drive named PSYSTRAY in the SYSTRAY file. Can I find this lost file elsewhere on my HD, or can I download a file that will work correctly on my system?
 I'm not very good with computer stuff, so I am asking you guru's for help once more. Thank's a ton for all the help I've recieved here in the past!!!
 This is an EMachines - E-Tower 667, windows ME,

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Win ME -required .DLL file, PSYSTRAY.PYD not f
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:44:13 PM »
    According to this post:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t12030.html

it looks like an accelerator program.  Read the post & following suggestions.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

mike_96_ws6

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:07:06 PM »
    Thanks for that link, and this problem may indeed be something left behind from the bellsouth accelerator I ran until last Febuary, but the PC this problem concerns has not been hooked to any internet connection since then and this problem came up more recently. I've been using a unit running XP for internet since Feb. I only use the ME unit nowdays for automotive PCM programming and storing some data files.
     What does PSYSTRAY have to do with the "sytem tray" at the lower right of my screen, used for accessing programs? Or are these not related?
    Thanks again!!!  :)

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:08:56 AM »
    Hey mike_96_ws6, I noticed your avatar was 169,022 bytes. Here is one that is only 5,192 bytes. And it looks better too ;). Just change your avatar location to point to http://www.computerhope.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/meandmycarandtrucktires.jpg
    « Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:11:23 AM by fffreak »
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

mike_96_ws6

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:43:31 AM »
    Just change your avatar location to point to http://www.computerhope.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/meandmycarandtrucktires.jpg
    Done, at least it's done if I did that correctly. I don't really see the difference other than the file size in the properties. But then with my eyes, I can barely see either one.  ;D
    Thanks for the help!

mike_96_ws6

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:02:54 AM »

it looks like an accelerator program.
     Yep, "Propel Accelerator System Tray".
     After searching my new XP computer, I see that the only '.PYD' file is indeed within the 'Program Files' folder of Bellsouth Accelerator Technology, which is the same accelerater program I ran on the unit I'm getting this error message on.
     I guess I'll try deleting or un-installing any files that are still on that HD that contain the term 'Bellsouth' or 'Accelerator'. I'll post results later.
    Thanks again!!!  ;)

mike_96_ws6

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:29:21 PM »
    Posting once more with the solution, in my case, in case someone else finds this thread with the same problem I had:

Problem is solved.  ;) I no longer get the error message at start-up.
    The psystray.pyd file was indeed a part of the accelerator program I uninstalled after I no longer needed that computer for internet. Evidentally, the uninstall left a few files active.
     I just did a search for bellsouth accelerator and deleted any of those files that were not listed as 'type' 'application', or 'application extension' {*.DLL ect}.
     Thanks for the help !!!  :)