Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: W2K Add/Remove Windows Components  (Read 1907 times)

Argentina

W2K Add/Remove Windows Components
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:34:53 PM »
When I go to Control Panel and choose Add/Remove Windows Components I get a screen that said: "Setup was unable to open the file au.inf.   Contact your system Administrator.  The specific error code is 0x2 at the line 2086412652."
I found that the au.inf file is used by Microsoft for sending automatic updates to the computer.  I have set my computer through the icon in Control Panel to receive automatic updates.  My OS is W2K and I am the Administrator but I do not know how to solve the problem.
All help will be very much appreciated.[timestamp=1170225244]

Argentina

Re: W2K Add/Remove Windows Components
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »
I am answering my own question.  I found that the file au.inf was missing for reasons unknown to me.  I have W2K and also Win XP, so I copied the file au.inf from Win XP and put in C:\WINNT and it worked partially but there was a pop-up screen that was giving information about another two files missing and I replaced them the same way and now the Add/Remove Windows Components is back on working conditions.
Hope this may help someone in the future.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: W2K Add/Remove Windows Components
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 06:52:50 AM »
Glad you're fixed...System File Checker would have done the same thing.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "