Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't load Internet Explorer 7  (Read 3507 times)

mhflier

Can't load Internet Explorer 7
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:44:13 PM »
1/29/07
I'm running an HP zv 6100 with WIN XP Home that I purchased a little over a year ago.  I have downloaded and tried to install IE7 on several diffrent occations, each downloaded from the Microsoft web site.  Each time I install the program and restart windows the following error comes up:
Error- EabServr.exe- Entry point not found
The entry point-Getprocessimagefilenamew could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL
Then each time I click on the IE7 icon on my desktop it creates another IE shortcut on the desktop, but fails to open the program.
I've had to uninstall IE7 each time.  I've even deleted the downloaded file and re-downloaded it thinking it was corrupt, to no avail.
I've done an extensive search for information with regard to this issue, but I continue to get directed to sites that want to check and repair my registry.  Although I know the issue is going to be in there somewhere none of the scans have found a problem in the DLL files (I even used the free version of Registry Mechanic).
I'm not convinced that purchasing one of there programs is going to fix my problem, but at this point I'm willing to try if it's a plausable fix.
I'm not familiar enough with what a DLL file is or what it does to know how to fix it so any information will be appreciated.
MH

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Can't load Internet Explorer 7
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »
    I'm not familiar with this problem. However, this made interesting reading:
    http://tinyurl.com/ydu9xj
    « Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:14:28 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:46:14 AM »
      Any reason why you're hooked on IE7?   :-?  There are many alternative browsers out there that can do a fine job.  I've used Firefox for quite some time and except for the occasional site where I have to use IE, FF works like a charm.. I also have used Netscape, Maxthon, OffByOne, BrowzarBlackWin, and Opera.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:27:56 PM »
      Google finds many hits for PSAPI.DLL and for EabServr.exe.  Perhaps you haven't been diligent enough in researching this.  

Sample findings:
      http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?psapi

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/eabservr.exe.html

mhflier

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:42:47 AM »
      Soy,
      Had you read the complete statement you would have realized that I've pursued the links you have listed.  My concern is that since one can only gain the full benefit from these products by purchasing them, will it actually fix the problem...........
      Thank you for your reply.
      MH

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:36:54 AM »
      I DID read the complete statement.  No where in it did you say that you had tried downloading psapi.dll from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?psapi.  You mentioned scans and reinstalling IE7, but not downloading psapi.dll and replacing your existing psapi.dll with it.  What I would do in this case is rename the old psapi.dll rather than delete it.  Then install the downloaded one.  If it makes no difference or seems to have made things worse, you can revert back to your original.

Fooling with IE7 may not be worth the trouble.  You're not the only person who has experienced problems with it.  As ale52 said, Firefox works like a charm.  I have IE7 installed but I mostly use Firefox 1.5.0.9.

mhflier

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »
      Soy,
      Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all your knowledge on the issue, but.......
      If you follow the links that you suggested it will require a purchase to gain the full benefit of the program.  I downloaded and bought registry mechanic last night and it identified problems with my DLL files, but after the "repair" it still came up with the same issues.  I know there are other browsers out there but this is the only of 4 computers that I have on my network that has a problem with IE7. I don't want to take the time to train the rest of the users on a new browser.  I'm to the point now that I think I'll just re-load windows and see if that fixes the problem.  If you have any further suggestions I'll be glad to try them.
      MH

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 03:56:43 AM »
      A good format and reinstall solves all Windows problems, for a while.  ;)