Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop Icons not responding  (Read 5501 times)

Peter Edward

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Desktop Icons not responding
    « on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:39 AM »
    Hi. I'm running Windows ME on a PC. Yesterday after the regular AVG Free scan on start up which revealed nothing, I went to connect to broadband using the desktop icon and the result was all the icons disappeared and the screen background went white. Clicking on any icon produces the same effect.

I can only access programs on the toolbar which do not include my internet connection! If I try to access anything via "start" and the pop up menu the screen just changes colour as above.

I have run AVG again from toolbar with nil result.

Your help would be appreciated. Peter Edward

oddjob

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Desktop Icons not responding
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 03:34:10 AM »
      I'm going to suggest a hopefully simple fix first ... have you tried to System Restore to take you back to a time before this latest problem? I'm hesitant here as your problem suggests you may not even be able to get to SR.

OJ
      « Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:35:14 AM by oddjob »

Peter Edward

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:03:54 PM »
        Thanks for your reply. You were right to be hesitant, I can't access System Restore. Cheers, Peter Edward.

TheAdvocate

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »
        Try right click > Toolbars > Address. After that then Right click > Lock the Taskbar and make sure you move the address bar so you can type in it. After that type in Control Panel, and the control panel should come up and you might be able to navigate to SR from there. Anyway, thats just a guess, I doubt it will work =\.

Good luck...

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:37:16 AM »
          Hi Peter

If none the above comments help you should boot into safe mode (if you can) and carry out some basic troubleshooting from there.

This MS article may help (it save me repeating everything) .....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273738

I'm trying to keep my suggestions at a "low intrusion" level at the moment to see if we can fix things without getting too drastic.

Please post back and let us know how you're getting on.

OJ
          « Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:44:32 PM by oddjob »

Peter Edward

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:49:36 PM »
            Thanks, I will try your suggestion in safe mode but before I do I am now getting strange error messages such as "Dkservice has caused an error in DKSERVICE.exe. Dkservice will now close. If you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer."

There is a similar one under the banner 'Rnapp"

Do I have a virus or a worm?

Peter Edward

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 01:38:26 PM »
              DKSERVICE.exe is installed with Executive Software Diskeeper. Is this something you know about and have installed?

If it is legit then you may like to consider reinstalling this .exe file from a program disk.

I can find very little on Rnapp and nothing in English. You may be right suspecting an infection but, without being able to get online, it may be difficult to sort this out.

I am guessing you have access to a computer online (otherwise you wouldn't be posting this) so I suggest you try this.

Using a computer that can get online download Ewido/AVG Anti Spyware from here to a disk ….

http://www.ewido.net/en/

It has a fully working 30 day trial period.

Install it on the suspect computer.

Do NOT use it yet.

Boot the infected computer to safe mode.

When in safe mode run a full system scan with AVGAS and let it fix what it wants to.

REMEMBER TO SAVE THE SCAN REPORT and also remember where you saved it.

[FOOTNOTE > this is a good program to use as an “on demand” scanner even after the trial period is over. Keep it updated and use it to scan your computer from time to time].

Now try rebooting the suspect computer into normal mode and using it as you would usually do.

Post back and let us know how you get on. Any improvement?

OJ
              « Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:40:43 PM by oddjob »

Peter Edward

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 02:35:12 PM »
                Thanks Oddjob. I have just tried the AVG Spyware but unfortunately it is only for Windows 2000 and upwards. I am sure that Ewido is the same.

I am on Windows ME and so is my spare computer.

Where can we go from here? Peter Edward

PS Trying to connect with Contol Panel did not work because it comes up over the Desktop and clicking on the appropriate icon within causes the same problem with the scree.n

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 04:42:00 AM »
                  Yes, I overlooked the application of Ewido/AVG AS on W2000 and up.

If you upgraded from Windows 98 or 98SE, before you upgraded to Windows ME, to locate the option Hide Icons when the desktop is viewed as a Web page, right click on your blank desktop ... click on Active Desktop>click Show desktop Items? Does that help?

And what are your thoughts on DKSERVICE.exe and Executive Software Diskeeper?

Have you investigated any of the MS troubleshooting help in my post #5?
                  « Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:49:14 AM by oddjob »

Peter Edward

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 03:18:40 AM »
                    The computer was installed with Windows ME. Have tried using Active Desktop etc. though to no effect.

The computer came with Executive Software Diskeeper preinstalled. I don't have the CD but I am sure it is legit. because it has been working without problems.

I have read through all the info. on the MS site but I cannot find anything relevant to my problem.

Incidentally, regarding the warning messages, I misread one which should read "RNAAPP". Apologies for that.

Others coming up are "DRAGDIAG" and "EXPLORER" with the same message re. error, closing and restarting computer.

I managed to run NOD and A-Squared last night from the toolbar. Both gave a negative result.

I await hearing back from you.  Peter Edward.

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 03:57:08 AM »
                      Hi Peter

On post #1 you mentioned you couldn't get this machine to go online. Maybe this is at the heart of your trouble.

On RNAAPP.......

http://www.modemhelp.net/newsletter/dun/combatrnaapp.shtml

On DRAGDIAG ....

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/dragdiag/

Both seem to be related on some way to your internet connection ...the dialup and/or modem.

(Don't touch EXLPORER at this stage).

I'm starting think there's no malware infection but rather a possible hardware/software foul up at the bottom of all this.

Have you tried bootng to safe mode?

Choose "Last Known Good Configuration" option. Windows makes a copy of the current configuration after a successful boot and flags it as “good.” This copy isn’t really a backup but more of a list that contains information about the system’s settings. If your system fails to boot after a configuration change you can use the Last Known Good Configuration setting. This replaces the current configuration settings with those from the last known good file,which should allow Windows to boot normally.

Is there any way you could try re-installing your modem/software? Maybe reinstalling that would kick start/fix RNAAPP & DRAGDIAG.

Excuse short reply. Being Sunday I have much to do elsewhere.

If anyone else has any sugesstions .... please free to add them.

Let us know how you get on, Peter.

OJ

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:01:10 AM by oddjob »

Peter Edward

Topic Starter

Rookie
                        « Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »
                        Thanks Oddjob, using your last suggestion first, the screen is now stable. However, the reinstallation will not progress beyond installing new drivers. The computer then freezes and has done so the six times that I have tried.

On reboot the error messages are in order of appearance:-

DKSERVICE
                        RPCSS
                        DRAGDIAG

Can you move me on from here and many thanks for your interest in my problem. Regards, Peter Edward

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 03:19:43 AM »
                          Reinstalling drivers should not usually cause this much trouble.

DKSERVICE > To be honest I have never seen anyone with this program before. I know nothing about it. As Executive Software Diskeeper came preinstalled the organisation you bought it from should have given you the master program installation disk. Have you tried uninstalling the program entirely, rebooting then reinstalling form scratch? If so what happended?

If not ... can you try this without the program causing any damage anywhere?

RPCSS
                          DRAGDIAG
                          > I guess from what you say that, although the desktop is now working as it should, you still you can't get online with this computer.

Similarly to ESD, have you tried uninstalling the modem entirely, rebooting then reinstalling from scratch?

Problematic modems happen to many people (me included) and this rectified the problem.

Remember that, when you install a modem from scratch, you do it exactly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. I Know this may sound daft but it is particularly relevant with modems more than other progrqams, I believe.

For example, if you have an external modem connected by USB, you must be careful at which point during the installation process you connect the USB cable to your tower.

Try this and post back again. Please also update us on what you can now do on this computer
                          and what you can't.

Good luck.

OJ
                          « Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 07:15:15 AM by oddjob »