Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows closes on start up  (Read 1817 times)

emanresu

Windows closes on start up
« on: January 30, 2007, 05:44:57 AM »
Hi,
I have a brand new XP machine (P4 512Mb) and I had some problems installing a Netgear WG311T wireless card (that number is off the top of my head, hope it's right!) which resulted in several freezes and reboots.

I now know there is an issue with XP SP2 and have the latest download from Netgear, BUT.....

The PC decided to suddenly die. Every now and then I could get it to start booting up, but at best I got a Windows screen saying "Windows is closing". Having given up on it last night, my daughter told me it later burst into life and closed down again by itself.

[size=12]Any ideas what is going on and why? [/size] :-?

I'm going to try and get it up in Safe Mode when I get home from work.

Thanks for any help you can give.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows closes on start up
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:34:58 AM »
    Did the system initially set up OK / you only had the problem after trying to install the Netgear wireless card?  I'd try another wireless card first, then return the system to the vendor if that doesn't work.  

I recently set up a workstation on a network (brand new system out of the box) and it gave me nothing but fits.  After doing a non-destructive then destructive reinstall of the OS it still wouldn't work right I told my client to take it back and get another one.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

emanresu

Re: Windows closes on start up
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
    Thanks for the reply Alan.

It was working fine, apart from the problems during the card install. Got to the point where it would power up for 2 or 3 seconds and then die. Wouldn't start again unless I disconnected the power cable and reconnected again.

Has it happens, I got home early today and phoned the company who made it. After describing the problem he (rightly) diagnosed a stuck power button. I have a temporary fix, having swapped the power connector for the reset button connector (i.e. my reset button is now my power on button) on the m-board and he is sending me a new front panel.

Hopefully, that will be the last of my problems!