Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive  (Read 2118 times)

starcraft2007

hard drive
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »
I am thinking about upgrading my computer's hard drive (40gb). If i do this can i transfer all the saved things on my 40gb hard drive to my new one? And if I can, how?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »
Norton ghost would do the job. Or you could just format the new harddrive and set your old one as a slave to the new one(master).
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:45:43 PM »
Norton ghost would do the job. Or you could just format the new harddrive and set your old one as a slave to the new one(master).
These are two very different approaches.  Norton Ghost could restore his entire hard, OS and all, to the new hard drive.  The second approach would merely be a way of copying user data files from the old drive to the new one or just slave the old drive, as you suggested, and keep both hard drives in the computer.

Another option to transfer everything, OS and all, to the new hard drive would be to use the software tools provided by the hard drive manufacturer for this.  For example, Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:33:33 PM »
And soybean's option won't cost a dime...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

starcraft2007

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »
So i can keep both hard drives in the computer and they will both work?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 04:32:42 AM »
It happens every day.  ;)