Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: It died....  (Read 2066 times)

barl472

It died....
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:54:18 PM »
I hope I don't sound too ignorant but I need help with a power supply problem. I have a Gateway Performance 500, P III puter. It has a Newton Model NPS 200PS-96C power supply. I use it for the grand daughters video games. Turned the system off on evening, everything was fine. It hasn't turned on since.  I also checked the on/off swith on front of the case. No fans work, no lights are on, no noise at all. I check some of the connections with a volt meter and get no voltage going to anything coming out of the supply. Ive tried three different web sites trying to buy a new supply, even gateway doesen't service this supply any longer. I'm not looking for this particluar type or size, I just want a supply. I was told by directron flat out that they couldn't help me. Is this the only supply that will work in this machine? Can I install one with more watts? I would be grateful for any advice and my two grand daughters said thanks also...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: It died....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:52:10 PM »
I believe it was HP that bought out Gateway you might have some luck at their site.

Also if there is a repair shop in your area then remove the PSU and take it to them and ask if it is a "propietary" design. Explain your problem they may be able to tell you either way and or sell you a new one.

As to the wattage the general rule is too much will do no harm but you never want to go lower...especially if you have added/updated any components.

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »
I would contact these people directly:

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com

barl472

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 03:54:26 PM »
I thank you for your replies and I will check out the web site. I have found several that have all of the connections that this supply has, they were just a 300 watt supply. The others may have thought I was looking for the exact supply but I'm not.

barl472

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »
I stand corrected, The PSU I was looking at did not have the same connectors mine has. I have not found one yet matching mine so I'll find a puter repair man and see what happens. Again, Thanks for your help...

Glen