Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Private Lan within LAN - LAN Game Issue  (Read 4212 times)

Tau_Zero

Private Lan within LAN - LAN Game Issue
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:37:21 PM »
I have 2 computers and an Xbox
comp 1: Macbook, MacOSX
comp 2: PC, WinXP Pro SP2
router: computer running m0n0wall with a switch

I go to a university and live in a dorm hall.  All of the rooms are on the same LAN, and each person gets one assigned and allowed IP.  I therefore have a router so that all of my devices (computers, gaming systems, etc.) can access the net simultaneously.  The setup is as such:

Everything works as it should as far as internet access, etc.  However, problems arise when it comes to LAN gaming, a staple of dorm life  :P  Currently, I have to resort to picking whatever device we'll be gaming on (pc, xbox, whatever) and directly connecting that to the dorm LAN via the jack in the wall, bypassing my router and leaving everything else without net access for as long as I'm gaming.  This is very inconvenient.  I've been trying to find a way to work around this and be able to game from behind the router.  At this point, I can't see or join the games others make and they can't see or join the ones I make, while behind the router.  If it's any difference, we usually try to play Halo on xbox (system link), Age of Empires II, Risk II, and every now and then a CoD II.

I have tried port forwarding for the ones I can find ports for.  Some, like Risk II, only had LAN gaming and dont have any ports listed anywhere.  From behind the router, I can both ping and traceroute other computers on the dorm LAN.  

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Private Lan within LAN - LAN Game Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:41:07 AM »
5 seconds on Google: http://www.xmpchat.com/risk2/

It's pretty tricky just to rely on NAT for this stuff.  You'll have to tinker with m0n0wall's firewall/port forwarding settings.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos