Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hmmm...AOL spyware...sorta.  (Read 3409 times)

TheAdvocate

Hmmm...AOL spyware...sorta.
« on: February 04, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »
Well, I have this free firewall called 'Comodo', it's won countless awards from a magazine called "PC World"...anyway, I have AIM installed on my computer.

So, I go onto aim after the 2 week of having a newer version, and my firewall pops up, and says a program called Viewmger wants to connect to the internet, and I hit no for now, and close aim.

I researched the program, and it's kinda like spyware to me, but not so much....anyway, it installs onto your computer with a few products, so if you install something by Toyota, it will install ViewManager (And other products, like America Online). ViewManager will look into the sites that you view on Internet Explorer. Therefore, if you always click/search for games and game cheats, next time you open aim, it will shoot ads at you that relate to what you have recently been looking at!

It's just something new I found out..

Do you guys consider this spyware? (I wish I knew how to make this a poll.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 01:33:22 PM by TheAdvocate »

oddjob

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hmmm...AOL spyware...sorta.
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 02:53:27 PM »
    Malware? Spyware? Bad? All open to debate. Foistware would be a better description.

"Viewpoint Manager" is Automatic updates for ViewPoint products such as ViewPoint Media Player (as bundled with AOL, AOL Instant Messenger, Compuserve, etc)

Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad".

More information ......

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/viewmgr/

(PS ... I wouldn't want it).

OJ
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 02:54:09 PM by oddjob »