Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reinstalling Internet Explorer problem  (Read 4297 times)

eugeniajarova

reinstalling Internet Explorer problem
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:05:33 AM »
A virus got into my computer and I had to delete Internet Explorer. I have been trying to reinstall it, but keep running into problems.

I can't run the ie6setup.exe file - I only deleted the basic files for IE6 in Program Files, I would have no idea how to do that in the registry or whatever. So it tells me there is already a newer version installed.
And now I tried fixing it through the Windows XP CD, but if I use the "install optional windows components" to install it, it doesn't do anything at all. If I try to install Windows XP, the upgrade option doesn't appear.

Is there anything I can do to get some version of IE on my computer, short of wiping it clean and starting over?
(I have Windows XP Home SP1a)

Thanks,
Eugenia

GX1_Man

Re: reinstalling Internet Explorer problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:34:25 AM »
XP Home or Pro? Why no SP2 on that machine?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
I believe this should help if you have an "OEM XP Pro or Home, 'retail' XP Home or Pro full or upgrade version CD of the same version Home or Pro to perform a Repair Install.  OEM Restore disks or hidden restore folders on the hard drive will not work for the Repair Install.: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install":  How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

eugeniajarova

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:06:12 PM »
I did the Repair Install and everything is working again :). Thanks so much!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:17:46 PM »
    Eugenia.....  Just out of curiousity , what virus was it that forced you to remove IE 6 .....
    You should also install SP2 ASAP , unless your machine doesnt pass the WGA test ...in which case you would be well advised to purchase a legal XP home /SP2

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:18:18 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

eugeniajarova

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 12:48:58 AM »
    It had 'trojan' in the file name, but I'm not exactly sure what it was called. This was a while ago, and I was fine with using Firefox until the recent need for IE. I have Norton Antivirus and when it told me I had viruses I manually deleted the whole IE folder (Internet Explorer had stopped working anyway so I didn't see a point in keeping anything at the time - I hadn't realized IE was like part of the OS...).

I have Windows XP Home SP1a just because it's what came with my computer (a Compaq Presario 2500) when I bought it. I also have a Presario 2200 though, which came with SP2. Should I install that on my computer? I had assumed that since SP1a is what it came with, that's what it's supposed to have...

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 03:55:27 AM »
    You can download SP2 free from Microsoft or have them send it to you for a few dollars. Microsoft does not probide support for less than SP2 any longer.