Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: small annoying problem  (Read 2753 times)

Soviet_Genius

small annoying problem
« on: February 06, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
Every time I start my computer up a folder opens called "common". How do I get rid of this? I think I have to delete a registry entry but i don't know which one.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: small annoying problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:26:09 PM »
Could this be related to your issue?: File Storage and Sharing

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »
I don't think so. The computer I'm using is at home. The folder that opens is C:\Program Files\Common\
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 05:40:51 PM by Soviet_Genius »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 05:58:05 PM »
It's probably in your startup folder.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 06:19:35 PM »
Nope, I checked there

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 06:20:08 PM »
Does the folder contain anything?  

Try running MSCONFIG and select the Startup tab. And look for what may be causing the folder to be displayed. You can uncheck and re-check items to locate which one it doing it.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
I found the thing that was opening the folder. Is it important? It's called LVCOMS and it's in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.exe. Also theres another annoying thing. Every time I boot up the comp the new hardware wizard pops up telling me to install drivers for a "VGA compatible video card". I think it's my old video card that's built into my motherboard. How do I stop this from happening?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »
Here's some info: What is lvcoms.exe?

If you open Device Manager, what do you see for Display adapters?  Do you see two different ones?  Does either of them have a yellow triangle or red X next to it?

Since your motherboard has integrated video but you are using an add-on card, you may need to access your BIOS and disable onboard video.  If you can tell us your model of computer or motherboard, we may be able to dig up some more info.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:24:14 PM by soybean »

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
The "common Files" folder started popping up when I installed Windows. According to that website it has something to do with labtec webcam, which I have.The folder started coming up before I installed the drivers for my webcam and my webcam still works perfectly so I guess that's one problem solved.

As for the video cards, both of them seem to be working fine now because in device manager everything is fine and it recognizes both of them. I think this is now like that because Windows Update installed the drivers for my integrated video card. I still want to delete the drivers and disable the old card. My computer is a Compaq Presario S4000NX

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 02:50:40 PM »
Perhaps you should just leave things as they are unless you can determine that the presence of both the integrated video card and the add-on card is causing a performance problem.  On the other hand, you might try this.  Open Device Manager, right click on the integrated video card, i.e. display adapter, and select Disable.  This will leave the item in Device Manager but it will be marked with a red X.

And, yes, you could uninstall the integrated video card in Device Manager.  But, first, I would disable it, as explained above, and verify that your system runs normal with it disabled.  However, you may find that, if you uninstall it, it will reappear when you restart your computer.

And, as I said in my previous post, your BIOS may have an option to disable onboard video.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 02:54:29 PM by soybean »

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
I think I'll leave it the way it is because it doesn't bother me. Thanks for the help  :)