Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: bootable recovery console on cd  (Read 5381 times)

ricky1me

bootable recovery console on cd
« on: October 08, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »
Hi all,

I recently had a crash and was told that if I had the recovery console (XP) installed(D:\I386\winnt32 /cmdcons) that I could have saved my system. When issuin that command at the "run" prompt it install cmdcons to the hd (C:\). I've tried copying that folder and the boot files (ntldr, ntdetect, boot.ini) to a cd but it won't boot at all, it skips that and goes into the HD.

I have tried using EZCD creator to make bootable disc, though it won't emulate the floppy with boot files on it for some reason, it keeps saying insert bootable floppy disk.

I am wondering how I can make a bootable CD with recovery console on it, that way I can use it in the future in case I'm not able to boot again.

any ideas?

Thanks,

ricky1me

Re: bootable recovery console on cd
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 05:33:46 PM »
Or, how can I make the cd bootable

- just like a bootable floppy (format a: /s)

and copy the contents of the 6 floppy diskettes to start xp install

that you get from Microsoft (that has recovery console on it)

Mac

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 07:26:12 AM »
Even with the six floppy disks you still need the XP CD.

Just use any XP CD and type the command for the cmdcons and make sure that you are on-line at the time.

The system will send for the latest files from Microsoft, about 7Mb, and install them for you.

You'll see the recovery console screen, with a 30 second timer, on your next re-boot.

You can alter the timer down to 4 seconds in Recovery & Start-Up, Settings, in System.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 07:27:25 AM »
The XP CD is bootable and will load the Recovery Console automatically for you if you prefer not to install it to the HDD.

Mac

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 07:32:14 AM »
NOTE for everyone!

If you don't want to alter your BIOS every time you want to use the XP CD you should download oldbios.exe and make a boot floppy using oldbios.exe on its own.

With the floppy in the A: drive and the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive you will have about two seconds when the screen shows "Press any key to boot from CD ... " to boot to the XP CD.

D/L oldbios.exe from http://www.ebcd.pcministry.com

EBCD 060 is worth having too.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 08:29:28 AM »
Why would Windows XP alter your BIOS?

Mac

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 08:55:21 AM »
If your floppy drive is set as the first boot device you often have to change it to the CD-ROM to allow you to boot on the XP CD.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 09:38:26 AM »
My bad - I misread your post. I thought Windows XP altered your BIOS.

ricky1me

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 09:40:44 AM »
Sorry I didn't tell you all, I do not have the xp cd.

I simply want recovery console on a cd rather than the six recovery diskettes.

This way you can:

Format the c: partition
Use diskpart to make partitions
Fixmbr
Fixboot

Thanks!

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 10:37:07 AM »
is this a cloned hard drive...that cd recovery disk you have made...will not get you out of trouble if your system crashes..its best to image the drive...

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 10:38:54 AM »
is this a cloned hard drive>http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/...that cd recovery disk you have made...will not get you out of trouble if your system crashes..its best to image/clone the drive...