Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: formatting a new hard drive and reinstalling XP  (Read 2849 times)

gsuzette

formatting a new hard drive and reinstalling XP
« on: February 08, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
I am putting a new hardrive on my PC, from my understanding you need to format that hardrive and use a setup disk in order for the PC to recognize the XP program.  I am using the original XP CD. Can anyone please give me step by step guidance as to sucessfully complete this mission?!?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: formatting a new hard drive and reinstalling X
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 05:45:22 PM »
Go to How to install or upgrade to Windows XP and click on Install Windows XP to a new hard disk, under On This Page.  But first, access your BIOS and set CD-ROM as the first boot device if not already set that way.

gsuzette

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 06:10:44 PM »
Thanks, I have downloaded the six discs. You guys are very helpful.....................Thank You

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
You mean the Setup boot disks, right?  So, your computer will not boot from CD-ROM?   :-?

gsuzette

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 03:36:54 AM »
No, my computer has a corruped hard drive. It will not boot from a CD. That is why I am installing a brand new hard drive. I have tried everything else to get it to boot up.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 03:57:52 AM »
Thus,the floppy drive is needed again. :-?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:58:47 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 07:23:22 AM »
No, my computer has a corruped hard drive. It will not boot from a CD. That is why I am installing a brand new hard drive. I have tried everything else to get it to boot up.
I get the impresssion there's still a lack of understanding about some points being discussed here.  A corrupted hard drive does not prevent you from booting from a bootable CD.  But, as I previously posted, you must go into your BIOS settings and set CD-ROM as the First Boot Device.  And, having a corrupted hard drive does not prevent you from accessing your your BIOS settings to do this.  

Do you know how to access your BIOS settings?  See this image of a BIOS screen where first, second, and third boot device is set.  Your BIOS screen may look different, but the options should be somewhere in your BIOS settings screens.

gsuzette

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »
Yes, I have changed my BIOS settings, first to boot from CD,(my original XP CD) when that didn't work I tried to boot from floppy,(the six discs in setup) neither worked. That is why I thought I should install a new hardrive and start all over.............. :(

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 08:42:27 AM »
Do you mean that your computer will not boot from CD-ROM or floppy drive, even though you set those devices are first boot device in your BIOS, or do you mean that it will boot from them but your computer is not recognizing the new hard drive once you've booted from CD-ROM with your Window CD or from floppy disk?

gsuzette

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 09:58:21 AM »
The computer will not boot from CD or floppy disc, even though I have set the BIOS to do so.....

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 10:06:34 AM »
Well then, you may have other issues besides your hard drive.  If you have a genuine Windows CD, not a pirated version which may not work right, and you did, indeed, create floppy disks which should be bootable, then there's something wrong with your computer.  This is assuming your CD drive and you floppy drive are not defective.

What, exactly, happens if you've set CD-ROM as the first boot device and you have the Windows CD in the CD drive and then restart your computer?

Exactly what make and model is your computer and/or your motherboard?  Why did you decide to replace the hard drive?  Were you experiencing certain problems before that decision?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 10:08:03 AM by soybean »