Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem booting up.......  (Read 3363 times)

natane01

problem booting up.......
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:28:28 PM »
My girlfriends computer isn't booting right. It starts up fine 'till it gets to the Windows 98 logo. From their it goes to the Microsoft Registry Checker. 1st it says backing up system files......then restoring system files.......then it says, "windows found an error in your system files and restored a recent backup of the files to fix the problem". When I restart, it brings me back to the same thing all over again. Can anyone help? She's running Windows 98 the second edition.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: problem booting up.......
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 07:36:03 AM »
Does she have a Win98 CD anywhere ? ?
If so there is a non-destructive re-installation method...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:36:29 AM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

natane01

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
She has the Operating System Recovery CD that came with the comp. Where do I go from their?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 08:47:44 PM »
Is there any important data to back up first? A restore disk will erase the hard drive. What is the computer make/model?

natane01

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »
It's a Micron-Millennia MAX GS 133. Any other info required?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »
[highlight]Is there any important data to back up first?[/highlight] A restore disk will erase the hard drive. What is the computer make/model?

natane01

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »
Yes, I can take off any info I need, by hooking it up to another comp. It's a Micron computer, Millennia MAX GS133.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 07:12:07 AM »
I would back up the data and do a ful reinstall with that CD. That can fix an awful lot of problems.  ;)

natane01

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »
Ok, But if you read the first message I posted. How do I go about booting from the cd-rom? I tried BIOS, but since it's a Micron computer, it won't let me change anything in that area, I tried. Is there another way to go about it? :o

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 12:14:35 PM »
Try another known bootable CD ROM and see if that will work. If it will not, and it is set to boot from the CD first in the BIOS then you have other issues.