Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp service pack 2  (Read 3527 times)

jane

xp service pack 2
« on: October 05, 2004, 08:54:34 PM »
I am running windiows xp home edition. when I install xp service pack my canon mulipass printer stops communicating. When I uninstall the service pack it works fine so I know this is the problem. I am running nortons anti virus and internet security, is that the problem. Which is better the nortons or the service pack?

2k dummy

Re: xp service pack 2
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 09:38:59 PM »
Personal opinion >>> Norton, hands down.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 09:38:03 AM »
I would uninstall your printer, then install SP2, and then re-install the printer and see what happens.

I did a fresh install of XP but added SP2 to the original XP CD files using AutoStreamer 1·0 which makes an .ISO file from which you can burn a complete XPSP2 CD and install XPSP2 all in one go.

You get a much better install doing it this way, with no residual hotfixes and servicepack unininstallers cluttering up the drive.

The four drives were re-formatted to NTFS with a FULL format, not a quick format, to ensure that there was no residual data on the drive.

It does mean reinstalling everything, but the end result is worthwhile, especially if, when you know that it is all working and free of virii & Trojans, you make a drive Image on CDRs of your C: drive to restore with.

Then if you ever have a major problem in the future all you have to do is to format c: and restore with the CDRs.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 12:10:25 PM by Mac »

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 11:08:02 AM »

Darren

Rookie
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 03:06:53 PM »
    does anyone know how to help me? my mate downloaded service pk 2, rebooted  compo, & now it  keeps showing this error!  PLEASE HELP!
    thanks!!
    STOP C00 00218 REG FILE FAILURE
    REGISTRY CANNOT LOAD THE HIVE (FILE)/SYSTEM ROOT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM  OR ITS LOG OR ITS ALTERNATATE
    IT IS CORRUPT, ABSENT OR NOT WRITABLE