Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Re: Firewire  (Read 2515 times)

patio

Topic Starter

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Firewire
« on: February 11, 2007, 04:08:33 PM »
2,650,817 hits on google in less than 1.3 seconds...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 03:45:11 AM »
The OP may require the link as well.  ;)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:43:26 PM »
Guys, a little harsh, and you didn't answer their other questions.
I understand that many people don't use Google first, but perhaps a gentle nudge would be better?
Anyway, back to the OP's post.
Firewire to USB adapters do exist.
I've never used one so I don't know how good they are though, my laptop has both Firewire and USB.
It may have been a good idea to check on whether your laptop has a Firewire port and whether it was possible to get an adapter before you got a Firewire camcorder, but never mind.
You don't need a new laptop, anyway.
As for your other question . . . PCMCIA slots aren't that widely used nowadays.
They are also being superseded by Expresscard/54, which offers higher bandwidth and lower power consumption, amongst other benefits.
So look for either, but they're not that important to most people.
The main use used to be for wireless cards and USB ports, but many laptops nowadays have wireless built in and enough USB ports.  It's also cheaper to buy a USB hub or USB wireless adapter than a PCMCIA one.
I use my PCMCIA slot, for a sound card.
I'll also get an Expresscard TV tuner, when I have the money and when the standard has matured a bit more.
Does this go some way towards answering your questions?
Edit: I was actually typing this as you were typing your reply, farnham1976.
I'm sure GX1 and patio didn't mean to be rude, it's just that we often get a lot of people wasting our time without searching or even trying themselves.  I apologize for any offence they may have accidentally caused to you, and I'm sure they do too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:46:35 PM by Calum »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »
Ah yes, I see you did find a solution now.
That would work too, but you may want to weight up the costs of a full hub against an adapter.
Remember though that a hub will give you more USB ports etc, but it'll be more expensive than just an adapter.
Your laptop seems like a pretty good offer . . . I guess you mean 1Gb rather than 1Mb of RAM though.
The whole point of forums like this should be for people like me to get good solid advice before we part with our money when technical support services and shop keepers fail in giving us the right advice (often in the process leading us to unnecessarily part with our money).
That is the point of this forum, it's just that sometimes we get a little frustrated and we occasionally take it out on the wrong people.  Google would have helped, but, as you pointed out, you didn't know what to search for, which is quite common.
Unfortunately, the job of tech support services and shop keepers seems to be to tell us to buy thing we don't need, so they can make money.  If you can't stay ahead of the game, you'd better know someone that can, or you find yourself spending lots of ca$h on unnecessary things, as directed by shop assistants and the like.  It happens to the best of us.
Anyway, enough of the ranting.
Thank you for the advice.
You're welcome.
Stop by any time.