Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RealTek AV'97  (Read 11297 times)

NitemarishDreamer

RealTek AV'97
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:55:32 PM »
WEll I've been having TONS of problems with the soundcard or device thingy (not good w/ computers fyi). everyday or more I have to reinstall it cause it goes away for no reason. Usually it just works, but today it just stopped in the middle of installation and the screen vanished. I tried to install it a few more times and the same thing. So I uninstalled to program and have since been trying to find one to work. I've come across quite a few but at some point in the installation a screen pops up saying something about it not having a windows logo compatibility thingy on it and the first time i went ahead anyway but to no avail. When I restarted the computer the device was still not working. So I unistalled it and have since been trying to find a program to work but thus far have found none that are windows logo compatible or whatever. So if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

p.s. my O/S is Windows XP

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: RealTek AV'97
    « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:57:15 PM »
    What sound card is this? Exact make and model would help. I'll try to find the latest drivers for it on the Internet. :)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 03:18:15 AM »
    It sounds like an onboard sound chip, so the motherboard or computer make and model would be even more helpful.  ;)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 03:30:20 AM »
    Just for everyone's info . . . I believe it's Realtek AC'97.
    Not AV'97.
    That's what I had on my old PC anyway, never heard of AV'97.
    Easy to mistype as the C ad V are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard.
    Enough rambling Calum.
    It's an onboard chip, drivers available from the manufacturer's site (Realtek, although you may also be able to find them on the motherboard or PC manufacturer's site).

NitemarishDreamer

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:55:54 AM »
    Yes it is Realtek AC'97. Sorry. I am still trying to Figure this out. I've tried to download from the realtek site but after the download it will begin to install and then at a certain point it stops. I havent gotten the windows logo thing in a bit though.

NitemarishDreamer

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 09:04:51 AM »
    I've just tried it through control panel in sound under hardware. I'll try to reinstall the multimedia audio controller, then it picks realtek ac'97 to use. And then ill get that its not windows logo tested so i pick continue anyway and then it go on but stops and says " Cannot install hardware. INsufficient system resources exist to complete." Does anyone know what to do? Cause I've run out of ideas.

NitemarishDreamer

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:14:37 AM »
    I'm not sure if this means anything or if its just because it isnt installed, but when i go under system, harware, then device manager, on the multimedia audio controller there is a  :exclamation over the icon next to it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:15:58 AM »
    Uninstall everything related to Realtek, reboot, and then try installing the drivers again.

NitemarishDreamer

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 09:46:53 AM »
    Icouldnt find anything fo realtek to uninstall. I did a search and found a file for realtek there was nothing inside of it to uninstall so i deleted it

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 10:16:13 AM »
    What about in device manager?

NitemarishDreamer

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »
    under network adapters theres a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI fast ethernet NCI

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 11:08:38 AM »
    If you're located in the U.S., buy this and be done with your onboard RealTek AC'97:  CHAINTECH AV-512 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

NitemarishDreamer

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »
    I'm in Canada.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 12:00:59 PM »
    OK, shop at TigerDirect.ca: Sound Cards

NitemarishDreamer

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 12:04:30 PM »
    if i cant get it fixed i will probably have to go buy one in person since i don't have a credit card. what i really need is a new computer