Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM and internet surfing speed  (Read 4951 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: RAM and internet surfing speed
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »
That tweaktest is a good one, I agree.
That also helped me improve my connection speed.

Harlequin

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
I´m glad for give back the favour made me one USA friend nine years ago...

I always thought you the native english speakers have a super great advantage in computers because, almost all of the computer and software technical information is in english. All our books in spanish are practically translated copies of IT engineers books.
Many times the translations are not good, because, for example, the translation is in spanish from Chile, or Argentina, or México, and this kinds of spanish is not the same as our spanish from Spain.

I can´t difference between USA technical english books or GB technical english books or, even, australian technical english books, if the technical words are the same, the expressions, and all that...

All manners, I think my own english expressions are not the same as yours, but... think I´m not a native english speaker.

In spite of, I must give a lot of thanks to all those USA and spanish engineers, technicians, and all the people who has spent his time in putting a piece or all his technical knowledge to the rest of the world by this big NET.

HARLEQUIN

shouvik

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Computer Hope - Always For Your Help
    « Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 02:15:59 PM »
    Not really, unless you have a really fast connection and very little RAM, or of the sites are very intensive, for example lots of flash, embedded movies and so on.
    What's your connection speed?
    How much RAM do you have?

My connection speed is 6 KB/second (I use cable LAN)
    RAM is 128 MB
    Pentium II 350 MHz
    Win 98

People seem to be confusing two issues here.

Extra RAM will not increase the rate at which a webpage downloads. But more RAM can be helpful in increasing the speed at which your computer processes the webpage and display it to you. It sounds like you are asking because you are considering a computer upgrade? In that case please tell us your specs. For a simple home computer, at least 256MB should be sufficent for surfing the web.

Hi Neil,

Yes I was looking for an upgrade for 2 reasons:-

1) I want to create some videos

2) Getting a faster connection

Thanks Everybody for the advice. :)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »
    I guessed you weren't a native English speaker, but you are pretty good.
    I only picked up on it because of a few phrases etc, your English is a lot better than many native English speakers, believe me.
    I can see where you're coming from in relation to the IT books being translated, often the translations aren't properly checked and the result isn't what it was meant to be.
    Again, we're wandering from the topic . . . never mind.
    Edit: That was @ Harlequin, didn't see your reply there Shouvik.
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:18:38 PM by Calum »

Harlequin

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 02:24:29 PM »
    Hi, if you have a W98 OS, try to download EasyMTU in: http://www.rob.cybercomm.nl/easymtu/

I think it´s so easy to use and ideal for your 6Kb/s connection and your OS.

HARLEQUIN.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
    One question shouvik, are you sure your connection is 6KB/s and not 6Mb/s, 6KB/s would be 48Kb/s and that would be the relative speed of a dial-up connection, as you were saying you have cable (LAN)? You would think cable tends to be faster than dial-up.

8-)fffreak
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:35:04 PM by fffreak »
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.