Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: virus basically killed my pc...do i have any hope?  (Read 3052 times)

Layinlow

virus basically killed my pc...do i have any hope?
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »
my system specs were windows xp home, pentium 4

I was surfing through sites about nigeria because i will be going there for a month as part of my medical training. Anyway I went to one site that wouldent load, so I tried to close it with the x in top of screen, it wouldent close. So i then pushed C+A+D to close from task manager..."task manager has been disabled by administrator"...So I started to get scared. Norton then popped up saying that malicious scripts were causing my pc to stop responding. I manually shut down(holding down power). after reboot which took much longer then normal, there was a false "antivirus program" that I never installed(not sure of name because at time I dident put much thought to it)running when i started up. I clicked cancel on the program, but that caused my pc to crash again. After this happened it wouldent boot to windows at all, just to the screen that lets you pick safe mode restart from previous etc; none of options worked, just kept restarting after i clicked any option. I then tried to use my Norton Install cd, but it would only scan 4 files for some reason...

I finally decide to try and find a bootdisk, because I am stupid and had no backup cd, or restore cd(my computer never had one when i bought it NEW). I get one at bootdisk.com burned it with my other pc(windows vista compaq). Using this I was able to get into MS-dos...Only to find out that ALL partitions had been erased...all personal files, all system files basically EVERYTHING.. so I mess around with bootdisk long enough to get the boot options onto my hd, thinking that this will solve prob.. well after that it only would load into dos, and when i pressed ver, it said I was running windows 98.
I then decided that buying a program to unerase was my best bet, first i tried the demo diskette from undelete (active@undelete), since it found my deleted partition i decided to buy full program to restore partition.....After multiple hours of restoring raw data, it still will only start in ms-dos windows 98... I cant run system restore from this dos(restrui.exe) or any other program basically...scan disk says that io.sys is corrupt in a/> drive and cannot be fixed\

do I have any hope at all besides having to buy new os software and possibly a new pc?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: virus basically killed my pc...do i have any h
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »
    Laylow..... Would you please D/L hijackthis and post the results here so we may see whats going on .
    Get it at .. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html  
    use as many posts as required to post it here .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.