Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Drive Letters  (Read 2053 times)

mpeskett

CD Drive Letters
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:23:07 AM »
Hi, little problem with drive letters that pretend to change when they haven't

I have 1 physical CD drive, and Alcohol 52% creating a second, virtual drive. I'm trying to run an installed program from the virtual drive using the desktop shortcut created during setup but it keeps telling me to insert the CD

I'm guessing this is because the program is hard-wired to look for the CD in the D drive, whereas the virtual drive is on E.

I tried using the Disk management options in the Computer Administration window to make the physical drive F, to free up D so I can make the virtual drive D, however, after I changed the physical drive to F, and looked in the options for the virtual drive, D was not an option in the list.

If I then close and re-open the window, the physical drive is back on D as before.

The only clue I'm being given is that when I try to change the drive letter for the physical drive, it tells me that its in use and the library will still be accessible from D, however there is no disk in the drive.

Right now, if I look in my computer the physical drive is listed as F, the virtual drive as E (nothing as D) but D is still not an option to assign to the virtual drive

<edited> Alcohol still thinks that the physical drive is D, could this be the problem?

<edited again> After a reboot, Alcohol recognised the change but the program still asks for the CD, I guess this is a software problem instead
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:35:53 AM by mpeskett »

pcdoc4christ

Re: CD Drive Letters
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:39:37 AM »
Sounds like your problem is specific to your Alcohol 52% program.  I suggest you begin looking for an answer to the problem at the software maker's support site:

http://support.alcohol-soft.com/en/

Best regards,
Doc

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:48:16 AM »
Good to seeya again pcdoc...Welcome Back !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 07:26:47 AM »
Their support is great to registered users. They have had so many bootlegged copies floating about, you need to have your registration information when calling.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 02:41:25 PM »
Good to seeya again pcdoc...Welcome Back !

Thanks for the welcome back, Patio!  I've been busy with a new job (i'm working for a different software corporation, now.  

8-)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:45:51 PM by pcdoc4christ »