Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: restarting...  (Read 2264 times)

stef85

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    restarting...
    « on: February 13, 2007, 07:20:07 AM »
    Since I fixed the last issue with this pc (the memory sticks got jogged out of place) I've had no problems. At all.

Now I come back from a weekend away from the pc (not in use at all) As soon as I get past the win login stage it shuts down, wont turn off, and I get a no signal message displayed on my screen. This happens TWICE. It's not as if it had time to heat up...
    I try again and it is fine until about 6 minutes in use and it restarts. I was only using the internet.
    Last night I left the pc on for a few hours while I was doing something else, and it was stuck like I described before. Only this time, it wont turn off or on again.

Today it works again, but keeps on restarting. (more often after I've just turned it on, than the times after)

If it was overheating, it would restart a while after I've been using it surely?  My pc temps are 42 cpu and 40 sys and 30 aux

Im on XP pack 2

Mobile pentium 4, CPU 1 80ghz
    1 gb of ram

radeon 9800 pro graphic card.

Thanks a lot!

Stef

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: restarting...
      « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:18:53 AM »
      Try replacing the power supply.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

si_j

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »
      It may be a hardware corruption problem; take the printer USB port, modem port, or any extension ports out.

Other than that, thoroughly retrieve the dust particles within the computer via opening the shell.

stef85

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »
        Thanks! I have an air spray to clean the computer with, and I'll take out my scanner and tablet. (though I haven't updated software or added any new hardware recently)

Replacing the power supply, you mean the power cable, or something else? Sorry, I don't know much about these things.

si_j

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
        Due to you speculate it's an over-heating problem, then I will state more on cleaning the insides of a computer:

IF you are tempted to clean the insides, do be careful and only do this if you are experienced working inside your (turned off !) comp box.

Remember to make sure you are earthed before touching anything, and be careful not to disturb cards in their sockets. It may be best to simply blow the dust away if you can.

P.s. Keep in mind, that you have to keep your comp in a reasonably dust-free environment . . .

stef85

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 07:26:33 AM »
          I cleaned it out, but there's not much dust. I've had problems overheating before, but only in summer, while I was playing games (oblivion etc) And it only restarted, didn't freeze.

I caught a bluescreen (I'll have to set it not to restart itself) and I didn't catch a lot of it, but something about bios settings, and if there was enough disk space. Does that help any?

All my hardware has been in for years with no problems.