Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying a Sage CD  (Read 2263 times)

Hayley40Howard

Copying a Sage CD
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:54:50 AM »
Hi everyone!

Wish I'd found this place years ago  ;D

For now though, anyone answer a legal/software question for me please?

We purchased a Sage accounts package via our old accountants. The package was loaded straight onto our book keepers laptop. We have never been given or seen the original cd, box, leaflets, etc. I asked for the cd sometime later and was told it had been given to the book keeper (it wasn't, we have established that). However, the accountant said he could give me a copy.

He gave me a cd with Sage handwritten on it. He gave me the codes to put in.

I'm assuming the copy he gave me was a copy of our original. Is this legal?

Also, if he insists he left the original with the book keeper, how would he have a copy to give me? Is it right to take copies of soft ware 'just in case' it gets lost?

This is a very large accountancy firm, not some cowboy who would expect us to turn a blind eye sort of thing...

Many thanks in advance!

H

GX1_Man

Re: Copying a Sage CD
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »
We purchased a Sage accounts package via our old accountants. The package was loaded straight onto our book keepers laptop. We have never been given or seen the original cd, box, leaflets, etc. I asked for the cd sometime later and [highlight]was told it had been given to the book keeper (it wasn't, we have established that). [/highlight]However, the accountant said he could give me a copy.

So we know for certain that he lied to you straightaway on at least one occasion...

Now what was your question?

::)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Copying a Sage CD
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
    Hayles.......  Are we refering to the Simply Accounting package ?
    If we are , it's quite possible that the product was purchased online and d/l and then a copy put onto a disc ....... or for a additional charge, Sage would ship a original cd to the purchaser.  It's also possible that your "old accountants" had purchased a multiuser license ( which would cover 6 users).

He gave me a cd with Sage handwritten on it. He gave me the codes to put in.
     This is possible, if the original was downloaded and the key given to your company.

Also, if he insists he left the original with the book keeper,
       possible, but unlikely if the original was downloaded.

how would he have a copy to give me?
    again if it was D/L thats all they would have had ....so a copy is what you would have received.

If you want to be sure that your company is not using pirated software, contact Sage ...they should be able to tell you.

Hope this helps .......

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:49:44 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.