Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Convert publisher file to word?  (Read 3511 times)

short

Convert publisher file to word?
« on: February 13, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
Hello! I am trying to find a way to convert a publisher file to a word file, or any other file, like a pdf.

The reason is because I created a flyer for someone in publisher and they do not have that program. I cannot find an easy way to fix this problem, except re-do the whole thing in word, which is a pain.  :-[

Also, I'm noticing that there are some things you can't do in word that you can in pub, like create a text box with columns?  :-?

If it helps, its a newer IBM (work pc sorry no more info) that runs xp professional, i think.

Someone, please, anyone, help save me the trouble of re-doing it! It will not look nearly as nice in word! Thanks!!!!  :'(

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Convert publisher file to word?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »
Sure can, just open Publisher and go to file->Save As and look for where it says "Save as type:", and just change the extension to what you prefer, for MS Word just change to .doc. Hope that helps.

8-)fffreak
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

short

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:20:30 PM »
Seems simple enough.....

Of course nothing is that simple for me.  :-/ When I try that, I get quite a few different choices.

word 2.x for windows   *.doc
word 97-2003 & 6.0 rtf   *.doc
word 6.0/95   *.doc

etc....

does it matter which i use, adnd does the lil asterik mean anything?

Thanks! I just love this site, always so helpful!!!  :-*

short

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 10:23:38 PM »
Ok, it might be weird to reply to my own post, but I just thought of another question.

How would I change it to a pdf? That doesn't seem to be listed, and it seems that pdf files are preferred by many people.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 10:29:29 PM »
As to your above question try this one, "word 97-2003 & 6.0 rtf   *.doc". For Word to PDF converting look > here <, lots of places there to look. In fact 283,000,000 resources. Hope that helps.

8-)fffreak
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

short

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »
Thank you for the pdf help, i will save a site for that, it will be very helpful.

However, like I said, nothin is that easy for me with computers anyways.  :(

When i try to save the pub file as a .doc, it tells me...

"the file you selected only supports text. to save the text of this publication, click ok. to save the entire publication, click cancel, and then choose the publisher file type"

any suggestions?  :-?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 10:53:49 PM »
    I'd suggest saving the text as a .doc, then reinserting the images in Word. It's a little more work, but it gets the job done.

If, for some reason, the Word version has more problems than missing pictures (the formatting is all screwy) and reinserting the pictures doesn't fix that, you still have the .pub to go back to. So, no harm if it doesn't work. :)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 09:24:20 AM »
    When i try to save the pub file as a .doc, it tells me...

"the file you selected only supports text. to save the text of this publication, click ok. to save the entire publication, click cancel, and then choose the publisher file type"

any suggestions?  :-?
    You'll see that message no matter what Publisher file you try to save in .doc format.  Go ahead and save it and then open it in Word and see whether you've lost anything.  If you have, you'll have to manually add back what was lost, as Dilbert indicated.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »
    Or you can just output it as a PDF.  Have a look in the software FAQ (link below) for PrimoPDF.  That will do exactly what you want.

Note that you will not be able to convert from PDF back to .pub
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos