Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sound problems...again  (Read 2254 times)

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
    sound problems...again
    « on: February 17, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
    I think it's actually been like a month since I've last been here, which is a new record for me. I didn't mess up my computer for an entire month! But good things never last. The sound isn't working, a problem I've encountered too many times before. But usually I can fix it simply by doing a system restore, and that's not working this time. iTunes still works, but sounds on sites like youtube have stopped. So I went to control panel and opened the audio device thing, and which I went to the audio tab I realized that my default device is set to "Modem #7 Line Playback". I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure that my audio device is Creative SB Live. I have no idea how to change it back, or what changed it in the first place. Here's what happened right before it got all messed up: I noticed that all the sounds were a bit echoy, and then I remembered that a few days ago I set Creative Recorder to the echo setting for some audio I needed to record. I guess that affects all the sounds on the computer. So I open up Creative Recorder and this error message comes up. It said that it could not find the hardware or drives, and then it closes. And after that none of the sounds worked. And all I did was open up the recording program, that's it. One minute everything works, the next it doesn't.

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: sound problems...again
      « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
      ok, here's what's going on now (because i've been trying a few things since the first post): i've done a few system restores, finally going back to the furthest point possible. but each time i get a message saying it was unsecuesful. after the system restore (despite the error message), sound works on the internet again for maybe an hour if that. and then it stops working.

TRUSS.ENG

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »
      Check your sound device settings in comtrol panel - The other day i got an e-card for Valentine's Day and could not hear the sound and when i went control panel i noticed that for some reason my sound device driver was not set as primary...Just a thought.

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 07:46:20 PM »
        how would i set it as primary?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 11:04:12 AM »
        I'm interested also...how do you set a sound device as "primary " ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TRUSS.ENG

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 12:02:28 PM »
        The word that i should have used is "DEFAULT" not primary - In control panel select "Sounds and Audio Devices" click the "Audio" tab and make sure that a default device is showing in the window - As i stated before i had a similar problem recently and when i went to the device manager it was empty - For what reason i do not know because it was not something i had not physically changed intentionally - As the saying goes though "garbage in-garbage out" so some change i had made recently affected my setting.Just a thought!!!