Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: com port modem setup  (Read 3192 times)

erk

com port modem setup
« on: April 04, 2004, 09:37:54 AM »
  My os is 98se.  I have dual drives, c(420m) and d(8g). Originally 98 was installed on my c drive, I installed my modem (quick and painless) and everything was great except I was continually geting "out of disk space" on the c drive.  No biggy, I thought.  Reinstalled 98 onto my d drive and since I cant get my modem to setup correctly (the modem is new and working properly, I tested it on this system I am using now)
 My com ports are 1 & 2 and setup correctly (irq, etc) and when I setup my modem on the c drive it setup on com2, but now it skips over 2 and sets up for com3 which doesnt exist. So I remove the modem, setup com3, reinstall modem and it sets up for com4. I try to install com4 and it comes up as com5.
 Ive removed all ports and installed modems, started from scratch only to repeat the above. If by chance I get the modem to setup on an existing port the modem doesnt have a resource tab (in device manager) but the one that is assigned to a non-existant port does have a resource tab.
 I would be grateful for any help.

merlin

Re: com port modem setup
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 01:37:48 PM »
Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and then click the Device Manager tab.
Double-click the Ports (COM & LPT) branch to expand it, click Communications Port (COM4), and then click Properties.
Click to select the Disable in this hardware profile check box, and then click OK.
Double-click the Modems branch to expand it, click your modem, click Remove, click OK, and then restart your computer.
When your computer restarts, follow the instructions on the screen to reinstall your modem.