Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I was wondering if anyone can help me out here.. I  (Read 2299 times)

krazy1

I was wondering if anyone can help me out here.. I
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »
I was wondering if anyone can help me out here.. I have an AcomData USB 2.0 & FireWire Combo 160GB 7200 RPM External Hard Drive.
Model #HD160U2FE-72. I had a small fire in my home and the external case was smoked and smelled so I removed it (It was still working). The hard drive label states its a Western Digital WD Caviar WD1600 Model # WD1600BB-ODWAO. I tried to put this drive as an internal hard drive. Upon booting up Windows XP it detects it and "adds new hardware" but it doesn't show up in My Computer. In device manager it comes up in Location 0 and states 0 mb capacity. I was told to buy an external enclosure and install it that way. I bought a I/O Magic USB 2.0 Enclosure. Again upon boot up in Windows XP it detects and "adds new hardware" but it won't show up in my computer. Upon going to Device Manager it states USB Mass Storage Device and in properties it says Location 0 and 0MB capacity. I went to the western digital website and downloaded the Data LifeGuard Tools. Upon smart test it states please check cable test failed. I installed this drive on 3 other computers internally and externally and still come up with the same problem. I have tried Easy Recovery Professional and it can't access the drive. I have about 100 GB of files on here that I really need to recover. Can anyone please tell me how I can recover these files?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:10:22 AM by krazy1 »

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: I was wondering if anyone can help me out here
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:18:18 AM »
    is it a SATA drive or an EIDE ?
    if it is an EIDE, have you checked the jumper settings on the back of the drive against the western digital specification from here http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=33&language=en
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

krazy1

Re: I was wondering if anyone can help me out here
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:42:59 AM »
    Thanks ifor your reply its an EIDE drive.  I have tried it as cable select, master and single standard installation. Nothing works.. I still get the same results.
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:44:11 PM by krazy1 »