Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Auto Fix to Enable the Windows® Updates  (Read 3347 times)

Jp

Auto Fix to Enable the Windows® Updates
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:23:48 PM »
Auto Fix to Enable the Windows® Update Service Is Inactive

I have recieved the following instructions to activate the Windows updates from my PS ;

The Auto Fix allowing AOL® Computer Check-Up to update the Windows® XP operating system will be inactive for one of two reasons. After trying the first solution, check to see if you can run the Windows Update Auto Fix. If the Windows Update Auto Fix is still inactive, continue to the next solution to resolve the issue.

Solutions
First try this; Log on with the Administrator User Profile

Log on With the Administrator User Profile
User profiles with administrator rights have access to additional features on your computer.

To log on with an administrator user profile:
1. Click the Start button, click Log Off, then click the Log Off button.
2. Click the Administrator icon.
3. In the Type your password box, type the Windows administrator password, then tap the Enter key on your keyboard.

I have gone to the log off and have tried this, This does not seem to work for me, as since I have had the computer, there are two users listed but I am the administrator and the first and secons user although I only use one log in. I do not use a password, to log in but I do not know what they're getting at, can anyone tell me ?

Jp

=====================================================================================

3. Using the AOL Premium Computer Checkup,

When downloading AOL Firewall, I get a message box that reads the following;

Your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements to download and install the
AOL Safety and Security Minimum Systems Requirements; 128 MB Ram, 150 available Hard Disc Space, 300 Mhz Processor
Supported Operating System Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

My system is as follows;
Systems

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

Registered To:
Jp
PID-55277-OEM-0011903-00101
Manufactured and supported by
Compaq Computer Corporation
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
Compaq Presario 4403US
Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU
1400MHz
1.40 GHz
128 MB of RAM

Browser D Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 6
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 06:24:46 PM by Jp »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Auto Fix to Enable the Windows® Updates
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:47:16 PM »
    JP ........ [highlight]Why have you not D/L SP2 ?..........  [/highlight]If my memory isnt failing me you said you have a legal XP/SP1 Home  cd ........
    and yet you are still grasping at straws trying to get SP2 ....... If you machine passes the WGA test then your good to go ...if it doesn't, go out and purchase one and most of your issues will go away .

BTW , the article you are refering people to was written in 2004 ......  Some of the things mentioned in there have changed .

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:48:58 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Jp

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 11:19:16 PM »
    dl65,
    You are up on things, I will say that, I did not mean to be misleading, . . I did D/L WSP2, but I am having issues as stated,
    I have found out that the updates, that have been installed are not active I have contacted both AOL and MS, and am now waiting for some feed back, I can tell you I did go to the MS D/L site and the first thing as I remember they do a search of your computer to determine what critical upgrades they will reccomend, I did that and down loaded presuming that I was going to receive the SP2 D/L, I was sure that it was down loaded.

I do know that in A/R there is a list of Security (correction), Updates for Windows XP, and  updates for Windows XP, and a long list of Windows XP Hotfixes, and a single Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696.

I have hesitated to do another download from MS for this, and have been trying to get someone to understand this.

I searched WGA in CH Dictionary but could not find it. I'm not sure what BTW is either.

I will delete the previous reference.

Is it possible that the updates I am seeing are not part of the SP2 download and that the D/L somehow did not happen ?

Jp

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 01:25:37 AM »
       Jp.......  Again , if my memory serves me , I told you about the "Q819696. " back in Jan......... That doesnt mean you have SP2 installed .......
      First things first ....... [highlight]"BTW" = by the way .....[/highlight]
      [highlight]GWA = Windows Genuine Advantage[/highlight]

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/   have a read ...this explains it in detail.
      I did that and down loaded presuming that I was going to receive the SP2 D/L, I was sure that it was down loaded.
      There would have been a list of all the updates for you to view and to select which ones you may not have wanted ........ was SP2 on the list ?  ( If you tried to D/L it and it failed for any reason, it will show up in the update history as having failed .)

I have found out that the updates, that have been installed are not active I have contacted both AOL and MS, and am now waiting for some feed back,
        ....[highlight]please explain what you mean by all the updates are not active .[/highlight]

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:41:32 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Jp

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:01:14 AM »
      dl65,
      I have just received an em from comprule@microsoft, asking me for a screenshot of winver, I sent it although it stated Version 5 SP1, . .I also sent him a recent Hijackthis log.

I recall the initial D/L and I know I would have chosen, not to select, as I would not really have known which to choose, I figured if they scanned my computer, what I was going to get was not going to hurt.

In any case something went wrong, it may have been that the computer disconnected, during the D/L as I have had issues with a modem selection at times, and I may have checked A/R and saw the updates and thought that they were upgraded,this is also being straightened out. apparently the on board fax, and the upgraded aol version from 7 to 9 and the printer was causing an over ride possibly a call waiting issue that causes the internet connection to close, and so I, will get compaq to detail the modem set up as I am also installing a new printer, multi function and this will take a day or two, but it is going to get fixed here pretty soon.

I do recall you mentioning the systems restore on and off I will go back and read the post, I know it is an important issue.

Thanks much.

Regards,

Jp

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
      Order an SP2 CD from the mothership they are handy to have....all you pay is shipping.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "