Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Log On to Windows 2000 Pro  (Read 4910 times)

bassgruv4u

Can't Log On to Windows 2000 Pro
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:13:32 PM »
I have a computer that a frined of mine gave me that I plan to use solely for music downloads. I just reinstalled Windows 2000 Pro. The old OS was written over. I went through the install process and after initial start up, a screen comes pops up and asks me to LOG ON TO WINDOWS. It asks for username and password. I entered exactly what I had input in the set up. However, when i click to continue, a message comes up of THE SYSTEM COULD NOT LOG YOU ON. MAKE SURE YOUR USERNAME AND DOMAIN ARE CORRECT, THEN TYPE YOUR PASSWORD AGAIN. LETTERS IN PASSWORDS MUST BE TYPED USING THE CORRECT CASE. MAKE SURE THAT CAPS LOCK IS NOT ACCIDENTALLY ON.

What does this mean domain? I am logging into the OS, not the internet. There is also a box that I have the option of clicking on asking me if I want to log on using dial up. I haven't even gotten to Desktop yet...I can't even get into the computer until I get past this Log On point. BTW, when the Log On screen pops up. ADMINISTRATOR is in the USERNAME box.

I thought that maybe there is an old Network log on and psscode imbedded somewhere, but I installed this OS over the old OS.

How do I get past this? This computer is not on a Network. It is however, connected to a DSL modem/router.  

Any ideas how to by pass this?

Thanks

Keith

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Can't Log On to Windows 2000 Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
When the login comes up, click the "more" or "advanced" button (not sure which).  When the extended information comes up, change the thing that says "log onto this machine" or something and change it to "local" or "this machine."

Sorry about how vague it is, I haven't been on a win2k for a long time.

-rock
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

bassgruv4u

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:04:33 AM »
I wish I could, but I don't have that option. I would have certainly explored it. The only option I have, is to log in with a username and password OR check the DIAL UP box and that is a dead end road all in itself.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 01:05:02 AM by bassgruv4u »

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:00:19 PM »
OK, you wrote over the old OS, so you don't have any fies on there you want to keep, right?

Try popping the Win 2000 disc in and instead of just doing the quick install, do a complete reformat.  Completely wipe the disc of anything related to an OS.  Then reinstall.

It seems obvious, but I've done it once or twice: make sure when you type in your name and password the first time (at install) capslock, etc isn't on.  and make sure capslock etc. aren't on when you try to log in.
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.