Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Crash Problem  (Read 2066 times)

Chris_Ash

PC Crash Problem
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:06:39 AM »
Alright, so my PC stoped working over the course of the night. It seems to work fine except for two things:
- When I connect it to the monitor it shows nothing. The monitor even still has the orange stand-by light, as if its not recieving any input from the computer at all.
- The PC crashes 30 seconds after I power it up, and I can only power it up by taking out, and then inserting back in the power cable (when i click on the power button while the cable is inserted it does nothing). I believe the crash happens faster when the monitor is plugged in.

The PC was working more than fine up until this started happening. I was on it yesterday, computing in full swing.

Now, my theory is that the PSU is the problem, because nothing else can make all of the components crash and stop all of the fans. The thing about that is, that Ive never experienced a problem of this sort.

It seems as if the PSU is just old and is not working well anymore. As in, nothing has changed but it still dosent work. This would also explain the fact that the there is no output to the monitor, because the PSU cannot deliver enough power to the graphics card, and when i plug the monitor cable in, it tries to power the graphics card and fails and thats why it crashes faster. It seems that the only things that are working are the 2 fans I have inside my case, but i cant tell if thats the case.

So does that make any sense that the PSU becomes un-able to power my PC and loses all of it's wattage without any kind of change? Once my PSU died when the fan stopped working, wich made sense and i was able to fix it. But right now, the PC just crashes right when i turn it on.

PC Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 @2.4Ghz
nVidia Geforce MX 440
256MB DDR-400 @ 333Mhz
No-name 400w PSU

Thank You!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PC Crash Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 07:29:41 AM »
Don't buy a no name one this time...other than that carry on.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Chris_Ash

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:03:11 AM »
Im sorry, does that mean you agree with my theory?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
Sure.

But that dodgy PSU could have taken the vid card with it as well.

You can try another monitor and/or install the vid card in another machine to diagnose further.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Chris_Ash

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »
Well no, I can't since the PSU is dead.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »