Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No BIOS after plugging in HDD  (Read 1907 times)

ruester

No BIOS after plugging in HDD
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:22:52 AM »
This is my friends computer (It's an EMachine LVMM2 board), I have never seen this problem before. He said that when he would turn on the computer, Windows XP blew loading bar would freeze up after a few seconds, and would never load up. so when he brought it over, I plugged it all in, and i got a no signal on 2 seperate monitors. fans all work when i powered it up. so i thought it was the on board video, i hooked up a agp, nothing, then a pci video card, still nothing. I pulled the cpu (AMD 2600+) and H.S, and the ram chip, put it all in another older board. it worked, swapped power supply's. still worked. then i thought that maybe the board was bad. I got a new biostar board, I pre-tested the board barebone just ram and cpu with HS. I got a signal to my monitor and went to bios.

I went ahead and put the computer all back together and then no signal and no bios. got another board, put it together a peice at a time and powered it up starting barebones. when I hooked up the hard drive it would not post and no signal on monitor. disconnected the HDD and then it was fine. I thought i had hooked it up wrong the first time, so i tried it again. Again no post. so i disconnected the HDD and tried barebones again, and now i cant get a signal or a post. this time its an ABIT board with a light on it when it gets power. fans still work and all, but no signal. i replaced the bios chip, with an updated one from ABIT, that didnt work either.

Can anybody help me solve this problem? Can a IDE HDD fry a motherboard? I cant think of how it could, but at this point, I guess anything is possible.

pcdoc4christ

Re: No BIOS after plugging in HDD
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »
... Can anybody help me solve this problem? Can a IDE HDD fry a motherboard? I cant think of how it could, but at this point, I guess anything is possible.

Yes, and so can static electricity.  Did you ground yourself before you touched the motherboard?  ESD can kill it.  

You might want to try the hard drive in a used system with a motherboard that is so old you don't care if it stops working to see if you get the same result.  Also, touch something metal while you work in the computer to ground yourself, or use a static strap.

ruester

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »
yeah i was static free and grounded with my static strap, I have worked on and built several computers in the past, but I have never seen this problem. i tried the hard drive in another older board, no response, then that board worked fine, after I removed the HDD from it. still nothing from the new board. it spins up and lights do come on, like its still a good board, but will not get a signal to the good monitors. any other ideas? I thought that maybe the HDD was infected with a virus, and it flashed my bios chip with a bunch of crap, but installed new chip without the HDD, and still not working like its suppose to.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 06:42:15 AM »
I thought that maybe the HDD was infected with a virus, and it flashed my bios chip with a bunch of crap, but installed new chip without the HDD, and still not working like its suppose to.

A virus will not do this...
Have you tried all this with the MBoard out of the case ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "