Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: whacked out mouse?  (Read 2477 times)

LadyDeathSting

whacked out mouse?
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:36:09 PM »
ok, so i'm using an old pc, win 98 , 512 ram, not much , but it works.. but sometimes, randomly, my mouse ( ps2) goes crazy.. when i try to move it, it moves in its own direction, opens random files, moves my tool bars, other stuff.. and the only way i can get it to quit is restarting

i've ran anti virus ( avg) a few times, and it doesnt find anything.. do i just need a new driver, or what?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: whacked out mouse?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:38:43 PM »
What do mean it opens random files? Does it look like it is being remotely controlled? Also, try another mouse.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

LadyDeathSting

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
no, not really being controlled.. and if i turn off my net, it still does it.. it just clicks on random spots on the desktop
dont have another mouse, but u think i need a new one? tried cleaning this one, doesnt seem to do much

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:42:12 PM »
If it just randomly jumps around a lot, I would recommend getting a new one. Also do you know exactly what kind of mouse it is?
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

LadyDeathSting

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:47:10 PM »
um.. dunno.. two button microsoft mouse, offwhite.. thats bout it

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 08:49:27 PM »
The only thing I can think of is the mouse itself, when you can, get a new mouse and test it out.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 03:20:14 AM »
um.. dunno.. two button microsoft mouse, offwhite.. thats bout it

That is an old one. A repacement is pretty cheap. Why not borrow someone's for a while and taking it for a test drive to see where the problem is?

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:30:38 AM »
    if it is an old mouse as is the pc the unscrew the ball and clean the rollers as dirt or verdigrease gets rolled into the mouse as you use it. there should be a large round flange twist that of the ball will come out then you will see the two wheels, an spirit or alcohol cleaner should do it.
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.