Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2003 Group policy to ban internet use  (Read 2147 times)

ozydave

2003 Group policy to ban internet use
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:41:13 AM »
Hi

I have been trying to find a group policy setting that will ban a group of users from using the internet.

I have only a limited knowledge of policy settings so it would take me a very long time to find the correct one.

Thanks in advance

Dave

dirtydevil

Re: 2003 Group policy to ban internet use
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 05:22:01 AM »
The way I implemented this in group policy was to disable the connections page
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Disable the Connections page
Just to stop some of the users disabling the require proxy tick box

I then set the proxy to use an invalid IP address ie Internal network is 192.168.X.Y set it to 10.10.10.10 on port 1010
User Configuration/Windows Settings/Internet Explorer Maintenance/Connection-Proxy Settings

This will only stop the casual user from getting on the internet using Internet Explorer. If a user installs Firefox then they may still be able to surf the web.

The only other way I could recommend is to install a good firewall. I use a Linux based firewall www.smoothwall.org at home. Then configure squid to require usernames and passwords to connect to the internet.