Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor wont stay on  (Read 4239 times)

99GPGTP

Monitor wont stay on
« on: October 11, 2004, 10:36:22 PM »
when i open IE to surf the web my monitor shuts down and the light flashes yellow... if i reduse the page size to half of the screen the monitor stays on!!! what can i do to fix this?  Hope someone can help thanks in advance.. Mike

Raptor

Re: Monitor wont stay on
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 11:13:09 PM »
Scan for trojans, spyware and viruses.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 03:25:09 PM »
check the monitor refresh setting most run at 75mhz...and type dxdiag in the run box to see if there are any other graphic issues

mike skelton

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 05:47:26 PM »
OK ran virus and spyware checks... both come up clean.
The refresh rate on my pc is 60, but 75 makes no difference. All of the graphic  test came out good!!! it did not shut off when I ran them. maybe this will help, it seems to be more stable with dark screens than light. my wife had put a pic on here desktop that was nearly all white and it  just kept shutting down as soon as we tried to go to her screen name. I got it changed to a black background now and it stays on again.  This was new to me... So it seems now it does this on more than just IE.  Also there are about 15 very thin horizontal blue lines from top to bottom on the screen as well. They are hard to see at first but once you see them you cant miss them. They kinda blend in..

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 06:01:42 PM »
Sounds as if video card is over driving monitor.  Try adjusting monitor settings on monitor (not in Windows).  Horizontal size, vertical size, horizonal position, vertical position.  There should be a whole menu at your fingertips.

99GPGTP

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:24:01 PM »
Computer_Commando I belive you have it. I turned down the contrast to 50% from 100% and it seems ok now. It has been this way since we have had the PC (100%) about 4 yrs. Any idea why all of a sudden it went bad...? Am i in need of a video card soon? Thank  all of you so much for your help.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »
... Any idea why all of a sudden it went bad...?Am i in need of a video card soon?

Parts (capacitors, especially) in monitor are aging, same as in your TV.  Video card is fine, monitor is starting to go bad.  CRT monitors are cheap, 17" are $50, my 19" was $100 last year.

mike skelton

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:23:02 AM »
Ok, cool. Thanks again for you'r help.......!!!

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 01:58:44 AM »
Having your monitor set to the brightest Gamma and constrast isn't very good for your eyes, anyway..