Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: system restore/ other ideas?  (Read 1937 times)

daniel123

system restore/ other ideas?
« on: March 03, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »
After installing Bitcomet (torrent) on my computer, the internet would not work the next time I turned it on. I have XP home. It is the second computer on the network, and the local connection does not work either.

I get a message saying that a network cable is unplugged, or a different message that there is limited or no connectivity. I connected a laptop to the same cables, and it worked fine, so it appears that the problem is just with the computer.

I tried to do a system restore back to before I downloaded any of that stuff, but I never created any restore points. From the restore wizard, I do not see any auto restore checkpoints, I guess my computer never created any.

Is there a way to restore back to the way it was about a week ago, or is there an alternative solution?

Jp

Re: system restore/ other ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 12:26:35 PM »
dantrig,

I would like to offer you more, but try this for now, .

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

Jp

DrCrabby

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 06:52:09 AM »
After installing Bitcomet (torrent) on my computer, the internet would not work the next time I turned it on. I have XP home. It is the second computer on the network, and the local connection does not work either.

I get a message saying that a network cable is unplugged, or a different message that there is limited or no connectivity. I connected a laptop to the same cables, and it worked fine, so it appears that the problem is just with the computer.

I tried to do a system restore back to before I downloaded any of that stuff, but I never created any restore points. From the restore wizard, I do not see any auto restore checkpoints, I guess my computer never created any.

Is there a way to restore back to the way it was about a week ago, or is there an alternative solution?

Seems strange that adding that program would cause such a problem.  It could just be a coincidence that the problem started with the addition of Bitcomet.  Tried reloading the driver for your network card?  Perhaps the card has given out.  This just sounds too much like what my daughter's computer went through two days ago, and it turned out to be her network card. (ISP wasn't seeing her card even though the lights on the card appeared to be OK).  Fortunately her ISP was willing to replace the card at no cost to her (this is why I'm convinced the card was the problem - they weren't making any money on the deal).

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »
The problem may not be with the torrent client, it may be with what you downloaded with it. What virus and spyware protection are you using?