Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: please disregard this!    (Read 2601 times)

Phyllis_D

please disregard this!  
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »
I have an aol optimized systemax and a friend added a dvd drive to it.  The puter would lock up and my son would turn it off and back on.  It comes up with the aol optimized screen and then goes to a black and white screen that has a bunch of information on it.  In the middle of the screen it says Pri. Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability....Disabled and at the very bottom the last line is Verifying DMI Pool Data.....   At this point it just sits now.

I was told by customer support that I had either something loose or my hard drive was going bad.  I replaced the hard drive and it is still the same.  I have checked every connection I could find and it all appears tight.  

I was told by  a second person my video card was not big enough to support the dvd drive and I do have a new one but have not installed it.  

The second person also had me boot the system from the systemax disk and reload windows and it acts like it does and takes me through the steps but then ends up at the black and white screen.

Does anyone know what could cause it to do this other than the loose connection or hard drive?   Or if it is a loose connection, which one could it be?

One last thing, if I hit delete on the aol screen it will let me go into set up but once I am there my keyboard is dead.  I have tried two different keyboards, one of which is a usb connection.

Thank you all for your help.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 06:25:37 PM by Phyllis_D »

GX1_Man

Re: computer wont boot up
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 02:58:25 PM »
How about some actual details on the system and how the hard drive and DVD drives are connected and jumpered. Are they on the same cable, etc.?

Phyllis_D

Re: computer wont boot up
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 03:05:46 PM »
sorry, I don't know a whole lot about it so here is what I know:

Support Kit    
 (1) Overbox Carton    
 (1) Mini-Tower mATX Chassis w/250W PS SIS651 Motherboard    
 (1) Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition    
 (1) Intel Celeron Processor 2.4 GHz    
 (1) 256MB DDR333 PC2700 Non-ECC Memory (256MB x 1)    
 (1) 40GB IDE Ultra ATA 7200rpm Hard Drive    
 (1) 52x (max) CD-ROM Drive    
 (1) 17" .27 Black CRT Monitor    
 (1) Cyber Acoustics 2016 2-Piece Speakers    
 (1) 56K PCI Modem    
 (1) Lexmark Printer    
 (1) Systemax 104 Keyboard Black PS/2    
 (1) PS/2 Scroll Mouse Black  

the dvd drive that was added was a liteon dvd rom drive with ATAPI/E-IDE interface 16x

the new hard drive is a western digital 160 gb ide drive

it made no difference with the new hard drive.  I also tried unplugging the dvd drive and that made no difference.

are the cables those strips that plug into the them?  If they are then the dvd drive and the cd drive are plugged into one strip and the hard drive is on a different one.

It is windows xp and I don't have a seperate windows cd, I have the one that systemax sent with it and they said that windows was in there.  It is a genuine copy and there was only genuine kids stuff on it, nothing pirated and most of hte time it was not hooked up to the internet.  He is 9 and did school work on it and watched dvds.

the new video card I bought for it is a geforce fx 6200 256 m agp.  I also have ordered a new memory stick for it a 1 gb.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:12:13 PM by Phyllis_D »

Phyllis_D

Re: computer stops at verifying dmi pool data
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »
I found the page on verifying dmi pool data

1. I reloaded windows and it didn't matter
2. I checked all connections and it didn't matter
3.  I made sure there were no disks in the drives and it didn't matter.
4.  I disconnected all cd/dvd/floppy drive and it didn't matter.
5.  I put in a new hard drive and it didn't matter
6.  If I go to the cmos set up page my keyboard don't work and I can't check anything.

I am now going to go look and see what I can find on hte bios corrupt or misc. setting not properly set and see if I can figure out how to reset the bios/cmos settings.

This puter was purchased last may as a  demo and has no warranty.

GX1_Man

Re: please disregard this!  
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 08:20:27 PM »
Instead of multiple posts about the same computer and it's issues, it is better to keep it all in one thread to prevent confusion to you AND us and get you some relevant help.  ;)