Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Different RAM manufacturers  (Read 3832 times)

Adrian Catchings

Different RAM manufacturers
« on: September 27, 2004, 08:28:48 AM »
For those of you who helped me with my computer OS problems, thanks a lot. The computer is built and running great. However, I am noticing a little lag when playing UTk4, and I think my RAM might be the culprit. The lag gets no better or worse when I raise or lower the graphical quality, so I know it's not the video card. Here are my specs:

Athon 64 2800+
Radeon 9800 pro 128MB 256Bit
Kingmax DDR PC-3200 DDR 512MB

Does only having 512MB of RAM bottle neck my system? If so, can I buy another 512MB of the same type of RAM even if it's made by different manufacturers?

Is i

2k dummy

Re: Different RAM manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »
The ram will work but if your MB has dual memory access controllers, it will default to one. Dual access requires perfectly matched modules and they sold that way.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 09:41:21 AM »
Do you mean online lag?

chade

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 10:23:22 PM »
2k dummy's comments are quite right for a few months back, but a lot of more recent motherboards are a lot more tolerant of differing RAM sticks in dual-channel operation.

And Raptor's question is quite to the point...what do you mean by 'lag'?  It's very unlikely 512MB of RAM is bottlenecking your system for the purposes of intense 3D graphics.

Adrian Catchings

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 05:28:23 PM »
Srry it's taken me so long to reply... To answer your questions, the lag comes while I am playing certain games such as Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic. What's strange about this is that the game only lags when I am out in large open areas such as Dantooine. While I'm in a city that's full of people such as Taris, everything runs flawlessly. I still think the ram is bottlenecking my system because I find it hard to believe that a 64 bit processor and a Radeon 9800 pro would have trouble running most games on the market. Am I crazy? Also, just to note: I am using 512 MB Kingston PC-3200 DDR RAM.

Something I just noticed is that my 64 bit processor only runs at 1.8 gigahertz. Maybe that's the problem.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 01:38:51 AM »
question what operating system is been used?try a software progam called freeram xp....final check are the disks sound ...and does this happen when playing games for a while....<overheating maybe>
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 01:40:31 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 03:17:26 AM »
I recall reading that 64 Bit processors actually lowers the amount of FPS you can get in games..  Statistics backed that up.

Adrian Catchings

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 01:59:15 PM »
Do you think that will change once the 64 bit OS comes out?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 02:04:25 PM »
Do you think that will change once the 64 bit OS comes out?

WinXP is available in 64-bit.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx