Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install windows XP off a thumb drive?  (Read 6910 times)

mranime

Re: Install windows XP off a thumb drive?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 02:33:52 PM »
Judging by the replies posted at that site it appears only about one in five were successful with his method.

Depending on what Tinygnome has got to lose, they can still try it. Or they could attempt to install DamnSmallLinux onto a USB drive after making an .ISO image of their Windows Installation CD and putting it on some kind of media. From within Linux, mount the image and try to run the installer under WINE? Or attempt something involving PXE.

Just spouting ideas.

[edit]Okay, the forum software has a wordfilter set (useless) that is filtering D*amnSmallLinux (remove the asterisk) into "darnSmallLinux" and even broke the link. Here are the instructions to place "that distribution" of Linux onto a thumbdrive[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 02:39:48 PM by mranime »

Tinygnome

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re: Install windows XP off a thumb drive?
    « Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
    Well i ended up getting an external optical drive to work, (it took forever and i had to re-do it 3 times) i tried some other methods on the thumb drive but, the computer wouldn't recognize the *censored* thumb drive!  oh well its all good now
    BBY store 0004