Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 2173 times)

twister

HELP!
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:24:55 AM »
Just turned on my Laptop and this is what it says.We apologize for the inconvenice, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. There are a couple more paragraghs, but it gives me one of five choices. By using the up and down arrow.
Safemode
Safemode with networking
safemode with command prompt
Last known good configuration
Start windows normally
I tried all five and all get me back to the same screen. I don't know what to do. And I don't know what I did to cause this.

Please help  

GX1_Man

Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:11:04 AM »
Some details on the machine, operating system, etc. and what happened prior to this would be helpful. See below.

twister

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 06:22:56 AM »
Toshiba psm42u
512 ram

What else do you need to know? I think I have a virus, when I run Ad Aware it stops at CLDIS. I shut the machine down normally and now when I turn it on, thats as far as I get is the black screen giving me those five choices and none of them will restart windows!

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:25:32 AM by twister »

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:42:56 AM »
    if you get into safe mode run your antivirus then it will find any infections easier in safe mode.

try the  " Last known good configuration " option as this might get you back as it says the last time the operating systems last good start up.

if not do you have an operating system disc?
     if so you may be able to do a repair installation.
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

twister

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:14:20 PM »
    Thanks, but if you read my first thread, I said I tried all five and none of them will open windows!

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:07 AM »
      When you say "back to the same screen " what is on the screen ?
      is it the safe mode desk top?
      or a blank or unfamiliar screen without any normal windows icons?

do you have an operating system disc?

if so you may be able to do a Repair Installation.

which if the damage to the actual protected files registry and system etc , you may get back without damage to your data.
      a guide to do a Repair installation can be seen here
      http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm
      (ignore the screen display "windows reinstall.com" it will not show on you own screen)
      and
      http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.