Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad power supply?  (Read 2167 times)

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Bad power supply?
    « on: March 05, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »
    Hi all, I was curious if anyone might chime in on this particular subject.  I just bought a new power supply for my computer (enermax noisetaker 2 485w) .  Hooked everything up and after checking with the motherboard's (abit av8) tech support line, they think I just recieved a defective power supply.

I was just wondering if there are issue related to compatibility with power supplies and motherboards that go beyond ATX status or wattage ratings (I made sure the power supply was o.k. on both those points) and if there is something I might want to check before I have Mwave send me out a replacement.

Thanks in advance!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Bad power supply?
      « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »
       bo130.... Yes it's possible the new PSU is defective , but why did you have to purchase the new one ?

Is it possible to test it in another machine ..and then you would know for sure .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
        My computer would shut itself down once (would re-boot and be fine on the second try) once reaching and loading up the desktop if it was shut off for 10 hours or longer (overnight).  The "general consensus" seemed to point to the power supply as being the problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have another system handy or one that I could go to to mess around with.

I know that manufacturers end up sending out defective equipment - I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something else that I was overlooking.  
        « Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:51:15 PM by bo130 »

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »
        I was just wondering if there are issue related to compatibility with power supplies and motherboards that go beyond ATX status or wattage ratings (I made sure the power supply was o.k. on both those points) and if there is something I might want to check before I have Mwave send me out a replacement.
        Some points of compatibility:
        >Main power connector on the motherboard: Is it the older 20 pin or newer 24 pin connector?  
        >If you want to use a PCI Express video card which requires power directly from the power supply, does your power supply have a cord specifically for that?
        >If you want to use SATA hard drives, does your power supply have SATA power cords?

Edit: I just took a look at that power supply on newegg.com.  I see it has all of the above.  And, it seems like it would be a very good power supply.  But, in your case, it's looking like RMA time.
        « Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:58:23 PM by soybean »

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:18:26 PM »
          ^ Thanks everyone.  Yeah - it's indeed looking like RMA time.  The only thing that miffs me is that Mwave expects me to pay for the return shipping charges. >:(

Joe_Flanagan

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 01:42:18 AM »
          Have you talked to Enermax directly about this ?
          I'd give them a shot at it, if you can spare the time.

I've been running that PS for about 2 yrs. and it's been outstanding.

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:53:39 PM »
            ^  The enermax is the new power supply just returned to Mwave.  The one in my computer that is two years old is an Ultra.