Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook permanently deletes my read messages  (Read 2165 times)

Claire_Graham

Outlook permanently deletes my read messages
« on: March 07, 2007, 03:23:52 AM »
Hi. When I have opened / read messages my outlook inbox ,if  I press delete, instead of the messages moving to the deleted items folder they just disappear permanently.  It doesn't happen to unread / unopened messages - if I delete something from the inbox that I haven't looked at, that one will go into the deleted items folder.   I haven't got any message rules set up and the problem just started to happen by itself several weeks after I started using outlook (had previously used express).  Thanks for looking at this question and hope someone can help.

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: Outlook permanently deletes my read messages
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:40:38 AM »
    The problem could be a setting in "auto archive", this can be found after
    clicking on a folder
    and then "Folder Properties"
     there is a setting here.
     On the folder properties window, click on the "AutoArchive" tab
    and check the option to "Archive this folder using these settings:".
    Select a desired time period during which these emails will be stored on the Unwanted Emails folder (for example, one week),
    then select the option to "Permanently delete old items".
    As a result, these unwanted emails will be automatically erased by Outlook, after whichever setting is in place for example "a week " " 10 days" "a month "since they were received. it is not recommended for you not to delete the emails right after you received email, because it's always good to take a brief look on these emails, in case a known sender sent you a message from an email address which is not listed on your Contacts Address Book.
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.