Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DirectX not working  (Read 2348 times)

EDenney

DirectX not working
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:20 AM »
I went to launch Power DVD this evening and got an error message on my system (laptop) I haven't seen before.  It essentially said that DirectX was not enabled and that I should launch DXDiag.exe, and enable DirectX on the DISPLAY tab.  I should point out that I use this system many hours each day, every day, and was using this very program as recently as yesterday without getting this error message (which I had also never even seen before).  Before I ran DXDIAG I went ahead and installed the most recent version of DirectX even though I was already running 9.0c.  I then ran DXDIAG and went to the DISPLAY tab only to find out that the 3 buttons related to DirectX and Direct3D were grayed out and unclickable.  I don't remember exactly what the verbage was next to each button, but it essentially said that DirectX was not supported or not active.  The FILES tab says there are no problems though, and everything else looks fine except that it's simply not active and cannot be enabled or disabled.  Again, this error message was NOT occuring even 24 hours ago, so something has happened.  I believe the only thing I've installed since then was Tunebite 4.x, which does utilize DirectX.  

Before I go rolling back my system or doing anything else, I'm hoping someone knows what's going on and what I can do about it.  I have 4 hard drive backups of this system that I've made over the last couple years, and when I install the most recent one into this laptop, DirectX is working fine and the 3 buttons are all enabled, so it's NOT a hardware issue and there would be no point in listing my system specs.  I'm running Windows XP Home with all of the most recent updates and drivers installed, except for IE7 which I've been holding off on.  If you want any other information let me know.

Thanks in advance...

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: DirectX not working
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
    You could be wrong about the Tunebite product as this changes codecs and other components for graphics and sound which is the main factor in DirectX that is what it is a group of codecs certified by microsoft. There are a few web notes regarding this product, like a lot of this kind of utility, its  good when it works but a pain when its going wrong.
    Uninstall it then update the DirectX , go to the microsoft site and download all the up to date windows codecs from here:-http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/codecs.aspx

check dxdiag then and see if all is working, then reinstall Tunebite.   they have a forum for all the Tunebite problems
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

EDenney

Re: DirectX not working
    « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 12:56:26 PM »
    You could be wrong about the Tunebite product as this changes codecs and other components for graphics and sound which is the main factor in DirectX that is what it is a group of codecs certified by microsoft. There are a few web notes regarding this product, like a lot of this kind of utility, its  good when it works but a pain when its going wrong.
    Uninstall it then update the DirectX , go to the microsoft site and download all the up to date windows codecs from here:-http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/codecs.aspx

check dxdiag then and see if all is working, then reinstall Tunebite.   they have a forum for all the Tunebite problems

Not sure how I'm wrong, I said that Tunebite DOES utilize DirectX... I had actually already uninstalled it with no change before you posted.  I tried your additional suggestions with no change as well.

New info:  Not only do I have multiple hard drives with backups on them, I also have two identical laptops so I can easily do side by side comparisons.  With my current, problematic drive installed in one system and my most recent backup from about 6 months ago installed in the second, I ran DXDIAG again and looked for the differences.  It turns out that although the FILES tab on both systems indicates that everything is fine, the DISPLAY tab on the malfunctioning system has a warning in the NOTES section that is not present on the second system with the most recent backup.  It states that the file "ATI2DVAG" is not digitally signed etc. etc. (my graphic driver of course).  The thing is, this is the most recent graphic driver for this system and it has not changed for a very long time (a couple years).  More importantly, the SAME graphic driver and files are installed on both the good (for lack of a better word) system and the bad one.  

Since the VGA drivers are identical and everything is working fine on the backup drive/OS, it occurs to me that a recent XP update has likely caused DXDIAG to label my graphic driver as not being digitally signed and therefore it's deactivating DirectX needlessly.  Since the backup drive has been sidelined for some months, it doesn't have all the most recent updates yet, which would explain why it would behave differently.  This has me concerned because if this is what's happened, and I believe it is, then as soon as the mystery update gets installed, it's going to deactivate DirectX on the backup drive as well.  There must be a way to override the flag that DX has thrown as a result of it thinking (perhaps correctly) that the graphic driver is not digitally signed.  It clearly is irrelevant since everything is working perfectly on the backup drive.  If any DirectX experts out there have some input I'd greatly appreciate it, this is really screwing things up for me and reverting to a backup drive is not only going to be a major pain, but it's going to be pointless if the same thing happens to it the moment it gets the update.

FYI, I had NOT recently installed any DirectX updates to the problematic system prior to this problem occuring.  As I stated previously, I did install the most recent version of 9.0C AFTER the problem occurred as a means of trying to resolve it.  The only thing that had transpired prior to this problem occuring was that I installed Tunbite 4.x, but uninstalling it was of no benefit.