Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing/Adding Video Card to Laptop?  (Read 2052 times)

Dina

Changing/Adding Video Card to Laptop?
« on: March 07, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
Greetings

I have a HP Compaq nx9005 laptop from 2004 with Windows XP Pro and Radeon IGP 320M video card. Since it's an old PC and and an old card, I can't run some of the newer games. After doing some search on this site and others, I'm now under the impression that the video card in my computer is integrated, so I cannot change it (which I don't think I could do even if it was possible) but I was wondering if it can be replaced in a store. Do they have to replace the motherboard as well, in which case I assume I should rather buy a new computer? And now a bit silly question, but rather than have my current video card replaced, is it possible for me to have another one besides it installed? I assume there  should be a slot for it then, how would I find out if my PC has an 'extra' slot?

IF I have any hope of getting a new/another video card, would you have any recommendations for what I should get (or what I should get for my next computer, perhaps...)? I *think* I have a PCI slot in this one. The card should be able to support the heavier graphics of new games, which includes support for Pixel Shader, but it doesn't have to be the latest mind-blowing bestseller. Preferably it shouldn't cost much more than 200 dollars, especially if I have to pay someone to have the thing installed as well.

Thank you for reading this :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Changing/Adding Video Card to Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »
Laptops do not have PCI slots and you cannot upgrade your video in it.  If you want something better for playing games, you need a new(er) computer, and desktops generally make better gaming machines than laptops, although some of the high-end, i.e. expensive, laptops may do fairly well at games. But, if gaming is a major objective and a desktop is feasible, that's the way to go for a gaming machine.