Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ESD Problem  (Read 2106 times)

megaton1

ESD Problem
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:06:45 PM »
I’m looking for help to resolve an ESD issue with my home computer and I hoping some here will provide some guidance to resolve my issue.

I’ve had two (2) ESD events the past ~4 months that have “Fried my Motherboard” in both instances and I’m trying to resolve why this is occurring from an ESD on the external portion of my case.   If it had occurred with me being inside the case, well that would be quite understandable.

I built a new computer this past November and 3 weeks later I reached over to push the button to close my DVD drive tray and I felt a static shock which caused my computer to power off.  I assumed the ESD had caused a digital fault but I was not able to get the computer to reboot after un-connecting/reconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer.  The front of the DVD drive appears to be hard plastic (not metal).

I live in a dry climate and RH has been very low here.  My PC is connected via a Belkin 1100VA USB which is connected to a verified Grounded outlet.

I removed the motherboard and set it up outside the case with minimal components and switched out all the various components including a new Power supply.  However, the computer would only power on for 3 or 4 seconds and then shutdown.

I did a close inspection of all components, wiring and connections but could not find any issues.  The off-sets for the motherboard to the case have been checked and verified to be correct.

I replaced the motherboard and all was just fine for about 3 months when I was reaching to touch the front of the DVD drive and I felt a static spark and again the computer powered off and I repeated the troubleshooting steps as I did the first time.  It reacted the very same…power on for 3-4 seconds and then power off.

I decided to do another thorough inspection of all components and this time I noticed that the Ribbon Cable connected to the DVD drive and motherboard had a small bare wire exposed on Pin 39 which is the Led driver.  Also, on there was a small area of exposed wire on pin 1 or 2. The picture does not show it but I looked to see where the bare wire would hit and it looks as though the cable gets pushed up toward the top of the DVD Drive and actually folds back on top of it and the exposed wire hits the metal case of the DVD.
 (see image below)

With the ESD event(s) I've had could this introduce a problem to the mobo? This exposed wire alone might not cause a problem with the DVD operation but I'm wondering if with the ESD introduced whether it could fry something (?chipset)?) on the mobo as it goes to the mobo header.  

I have just completed installing a new motherboard and all is fine for now but I’m very uncomfortable in not knowing whether I’ve found the real culprit in my ESD issue.

I know it makes no sense that you could ruin a motherboard from an external ESD event unless there is something   not grounded.

I have had all the grounding checked from the outlet to the computer and all is fine.  I had the power supply and everything on the computer and all shows to be grounded. I have also replaced the PC Power & Cooling 610 Silencer PS with a Antec Neo 550 (the PCP&C 610 checks out to be operating ok)
I’ve installed a 3M Velostat 4’x8’ electrically conductive mat in front of my desk and computer in hopes of providing some ESD protection.

I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions for resolving this issue. Do you think it was caused by the Ribbon Cable or something else?

http://[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1984/ribboncabletodvddrivedy4.jpg[/IMG][/url]

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: ESD Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »
Well, you've replaced two motherboards and a power supply, but you're still using a flawed cable.  Why haven't you replaced that cable?  I don't know whether it's related to your problem but it's a small, inexpensive component.  So, why not replace it?

megaton1

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 11:48:53 AM »
Well, you've replaced two motherboards and a power supply, but you're still using a flawed cable.  Why haven't you replaced that cable?  I don't know whether it's related to your problem but it's a small, inexpensive component.  So, why not replace it?

Yes, I have replaced the obviously damaged cable as soon as I found it but that was after two fried mobos.  Some have said it's possible but not likely.  If it's not the cable then I'm at a loss of whatelse to do short of just wholesale replacing everything out of ignorance.

Do you think this could result in the catistrophic failure of the motherbaords?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 11:53:14 AM by megaton1 »

Shimada_Kanbei

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 01:46:24 PM »
Well in that picture IMHO you got that culprit. Usually all the grounds are wired and are connected to the chassis of the cpu so ground that as well. ESD is a threat for electronic components so it is one of the major problems that can damage an electronic components let alone a mobo that's why electronic components are placed in a plastic with Anti ESD coatings or materials mix in it. I hope this helps. :) ;) :D ;D :o 8-) :-? ::) :P

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:41:10 PM »
I'm also inclined to think you found the culprit.  By the way, do you know what caused bad condition of that cable?  To see a cable in that condition seems quite unusual.

megaton1

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:51:09 PM »
I'm also inclined to think you found the culprit.  By the way, do you know what caused bad condition of that cable?  To see a cable in that condition seems quite unusual.

Not for sure, but my best guess is that it might have gotten buggered up by some of the sharp edges on my case during assembly of my computer.  The cable came with my ASUS board.  These ASUS ribbon cables seem to have a softer (more plyable) insulation than others I have.